Chapter 39: Lonely Ones

Beck

I'm heartbroken.

Not because I'm not Jude's mate, I already expected it as much. That's not the surprising part, to be honest. Not in the slightest.

Watching my cousin crying because he didn't get mated to my boyfriend broke my heart in a million pieces. At that moment, it wasn't about me or my expectations. It was about him being in love with a boy probably in the same way Owen was for Layla. Or still is, who knows...

I can't fault him for that. He knew him first and had dibs. But it's not up to any of us. We don't get to do the pairing, she does. You know who I'm talking about, I don't need to repeat it.

Kingsley cried like a baby in front of a crowd of hundreds of students.

It was a pain he couldn't possibly hold it in. I'm sure he's been holding all of his feelings inside for a long time.I feel so bad for him. Terrible, in fact.

Of course I wanted to be mated to Jude. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here. But that was never in the cards for me. I could never be mated to an Alpha werewolf. I knew that from the start, though I'm very surprised about why neither of the twins were mated tonight.

I'm shocked by this fact, but right now my cousin is in deep pain.

Kingsley wouldn't stop crying, so I stayed with him in front of the pack house until he got a bit better. It took some time, but eventually he stopped sobbing and we went back to his house. I drove his car because he was in no condition to drive.

I'm hoping Jude will forgive me for not returning to his birthday party, but I can't abandon my cousin, my blood, my friend. Especially not for a party. Though I wouldn't leave him regardless of what kind of event it was.

Once we arrived at his house, we walked inside together. He still looked destroyed by the un-mating, tears still falling from his eyes. Fortunately, his parents were waiting for him to return home so they immediately asked him what was wrong.

They comforted him with warm embraces and told him everything was going to be fine. And if Jude wasn't his mate, someone else will be. What's his is reserved by the Goddess, his mother said.

I felt so bad for him. Genuinely. I didn't have time to feel bad about myself because I already felt horrible on his behalf. The poor kid wouldn't stop crying. He spent a good time being comforted by his parents and eventually crashed in his room. I bunked with him, worriedly.

Before I slept, I texted my mom telling her of the situation and where I was. I also texted Jude to tell him I was with my cousin and wished him the happiest of birthdays. I was sorry to not stay with him tonight, but the situation got out of my hands.

In the morning, Kingsley tried to apologize to me for pulling me away from the party but I stopped him right then and there. I told him I was glad to keep him company and I had no regrets. I was very adamant about telling him I will always be there for him, no questions asked, and he smiled at me.

We had breakfast late on Saturday with his parents and younger sister. She too had noticed her brother's state, but he told her he was sad about his friend not getting mated.

I kept Kingsley company all morning and we talked for a while. He confessed to me that he always had feelings for Jude, but he never looked at him in that way. I tried to be as empathetic as possible given the situation.

I listened to him and interjected words of encouragement when I could. He knows it's a delicate situation because of my relationship with Jude, but that is not what's at stake here.