Eighteen

I didn't expect things between Cordelia and me to escalate so quickly

I didn't expect things between Cordelia and me to escalate so quickly. My plan was to give her some more time and ease her into the notion of exploring the connection between us. Nights of sleeping beside her and having her consume not only my thoughts but my space threw that all out the window. The moment she asked me to comb out her hair and gave me permission to touch her, I knew I was a goner.

She was so responsive to everything I did to her. I wanted to touch her everywhere, to run my mouth over her skin and bury myself deep inside her. It might have been one of the most difficult things I'd ever done, but I held on to a strand of my self-control.

What happened in my bathroom was long overdue for me. I had been stealing innocent touches for way too long. Even when she was with Elias, I craved those small moments I got with her. It didn't matter that she thought I was my brother. For a fraction of time, she was mine. I'm no longer begging for his scraps, and I plan on keeping it that way.

My brother will not wiggle his way back in.

"Delia, are you ready?" I call up the stairs.

We lost days of training to her illness, and I plan to keep her mind busy now that she's better. She had a breakthrough before the flu hit her. Her power was naturally strong. Now, I just needed to help her learn to control it on demand.

Cordelia pulls on her jacket as she bounces down the stairs. "Why can't we do this on the couch again?"

"Because you've been holed up in here for days. A little sunshine will do you some good. Besides, it's not like we are going far."

She raises an eyebrow and wraps her arms around my waist. "I've been holed up waiting for you to come cash in on that favor I owe you..." she says, trailing her fingertip along my waistband before she pushes away from me and walks toward the door. "But if you'd rather go outside and practice closing your eyes and daydreaming...well, that's fine by me, I suppose." Her voice is sing-songy and teasing, and she sways those curvy, mouthwatering hips as she saunters toward the front door.

I jog to catch up with her saying, "This is important. So much so, that I promise to reward you once our lesson is done. I promise it will be worth it."

"It better be." She playfully shoves my shoulder and waltzes out the door I hold open for her.

I lead her to the woods in the back of my house. She doesn't know what she is capable of, but I have a feeling. With one bad vision, she could send an avalanche toward Snjókarlaþorp and cause major damage to the yetis. I figure facing the mountain terrain in the back will be the safest.

Cordelia drops her hands to her side and faces me. "All right, oh great teacher. What do you want me to do?"

"Let's start small. Can you make four snowballs? I want them to appear right here," I say, pointing next to my right foot.