Chapter 14: Date with Destiny

B.T.

We open on a dark pane of glass, which shakes a bit as several pairs of glowing eyes open behind it. Pull back slightly and pan across the area, which reveals a dimly lit room and ranks of glass holding pens stuffed with black silhouettes; the whirring sound of many beating wings is heard.

"Patience, my children. Soon, you shall wreak the havoc you crave..."

On the end of this line, the speaker comes into view. Standing at a worktable with his back to us, he is humanoid, covered with black and white fuzz; two pairs of striated insect wings sprout from his back. This is Killer Moth, a genetic manipulating mastermind working under the illumination provided by an overhead skylight.

Killer Moth: Soon, I shall have the power I deserve. Soon, the entire city will bow before its new master...

Killer Moth!

...Killer Moth!

He laughs madly, but a second voice cuts him off in a heartbeat. This one is young, female, and very petulant. Essentially, imagine Princess Morebucks at sixteen or so.

Female voice: DADDY!! DAAAADDDDDYYYYY!!

Killer Moth: Here we go again...

If we head on out of the basement of the Moth Residence, we can find the source of the screaming. She is a teenager, blond, wearing pink pajamas and sitting on her bed. This is Kitten, daughter of the infamous Gothamite villain.

Killer Moth swings the door open and runs in.

Killer Moth: Daddy's working right now, Kitten. Can't this wait until--?

Kitten: No! He broke up with me. My stupid ex-boyfriend Fang broke up with me! And now, I don't have a date for the prom!

A phone is flung across the room, then a pillow, and then she pulls at her hair and throws herself facedown on the bed with a groan and then starts crying and yelling as if this was the worst thing that could ever happen to her. The father sits down next to her and holds his hand uncertainly out toward her back, not having much of an idea what to do in this crisis. Finally, he attempts comfort her.