Chapter 18: Winner Takes All

A.T

A pile of cards lie on a table. Each shows a natural element: lightning, moon, and so forth. On each line, the named card is tossed into view. The first one covers a tree.

Raven: Fire beats Wood.

Cyborg: But Water beats Fire.

Beast Boy: Sun dries up Water.

Devan: And Thunderstorm blocks out the Sun!

Pull back on the end of this line to frame the original five Titans; playing this game around the coffee table in the operations center of Titans Tower. While everyone appears in their usual attire, Dev has donned a clear green brim, as if they were gambling.

Raven: I'm out.

Beast Boy: Me too...

Starfire: I wish to...go The Fish?

Raven and Beast Boy lean over to check her cards.

Beast Boy: Uh, you want to fold, Starfire.

Starfire: Fold? That is good? I am victorious?

The two kibitzers shake their heads; Beast Boy's ears droop as well. As they lean away, a small drop of sweat pops out on Starfire's temple and a very uneasy look comes over her face. Finally, she lays her cards face down on the table and hangs her head in defeat.

Devan: Sorry, Star. (He stands and reaches to sweep up the cards.) I guess I'm just...invincible!

Cyborg reaches into view and stops him.

Cyborg: Ah, ah, ah. How can you be invincible if I've still got one card?

He holds up said card as Morgan glares at it.

Cyborg: Come on, Dev. You know you want to play me for it. One last round, winner takes all!

Devan: Oh, you're on, Cyborg, and you're going down!

He sits and picks up his cards, scrutinizing them as if he were playing five-card draw with his life savings in the pot. One eyebrow pops up and down behind the hand; he glares across the table at Cyborg, who flicks that single card teasingly back and forth. The two stare each other down for a few seconds before Morgan makes his play. The card he throws down shows a funnel cloud; he leans back confidently in his chair.

Devan: Tornado! Beat that!

Beast Boy, Raven and Starfire: (All together.) Ooooh!

Cyborg has his best poker face firmly established, but he breaks the stoicism with a casual shrug.

Cyborg: Well, okay...

Now he has one foot propped on the table, and he slaps down his final card.

Cyborg: Boo-yah!

When he removes his hand, the card's face is revealed as a flaming meteor. Starfire and Raven gasp, their eyes popping even wider, and Dev leans over the table, ripping the brim off as he got a closer look.

Devan: M-Meteor?!?

Beast Boy: (His eyes shine and tear up.) The one-in-a-million wild card that beats all others! (He wipes his eye.) Ohhh...it's too beautiful for words...

Cyborg: Aw, yeah, baby! (Rakes in his cards.) Who's invincible now?

Devan: Aw, you just got lucky...!

Tennyson is positively steaming at this super-trump play; little black flames shoot from his hair as Starfire tries to console him.

Starfire: Be proud and cheerful, Devan. You competed well.