Autumn's POV

I wasn't sure if seeing Atticus today was a good idea. I kept getting a bad feeling about it.

I knew I could trust him in the past, but now that he was back with Anya, I didn't think I could trust him anymore. He would do things in her favor, not mine. He would be thinking about her, not me.

"You don't have to go there tonight." My father tells me. "l know you think you have to be by Atticus's side because he's your husband, but I'm tired of seeing you get hurt because of his memory loss. We can finalize a divorce with his family, and you'll never have to see the Fawns again."

I sigh, they were the ones that got me into the marriage in the first place, and now they wanted to get me out of it?

I didn't want to divorce Atticus. I wanted him to remember me. I wanted to make him remember me. And nothing and no one would stop that from
happening.

"Atticus lost his memory while trying to save me. He got into an accident while chasing after the men that kidnapped me. Why would I leave him when he's going through the hardest part of his life?"

"I'm just suggesting it for your own good, Autumn." He tells me. "I know you may think that I'm being unreasonable, but I only care about you right now. His family is looking after him, they're putting his needs first. I'm trying to do the same for my daughter. We don't know if Atticus will ever regain his memories. And if he does, we don't know if he
will ever be the same. There are so much more things to worry about. If the Fawns find out who you really are, if they find out that we lied to them, your relationship with Atticus will have to end. I'm Just trying to protect you from all of that. I can see that you've already grown attached to him. I'm scared to see what will happen to you if you're
forced to let go of him for your own good."

Why does it have to end? Why would his parents separate us because of that lie?

I wasn't the one that lied. I never knew who I was until today. Were they that heartless to separate me from him because of that?

I hoped not. I thought the Fawns were nice, I  thought that they were good people. I understood that they didn't like being lied to, but they liked me, at least, I hoped that they did.

Maybe if my parents asked for their forgiveness, perhaps then they would put this all behind us. I was hoping for a miracle at this point.

"I'm sorry we can't protect you from everything." My mother apologizes. "When your father and I decided to adopt you, we promised Aura that we would keep you safe. We promised her that we would keep you happy. I thought we were doing a good job at it until now. I'm so sorry, Autumn. I wish there were more that we could do for you."

It's not the first time that she's said this to me.
I hug her, "It's okay, mom. I know that you're trying your best. I know that these things are out of your control. It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself."

I wish they knew where my mother was. Or my siblings. Being around people that suffered the same faith as me would have made this a lot easier.

Unfortunately, I was separate from them, and it didn't look like I would ever be able to find them again in this life.

Even though I wanted to search for them, I knew I had to let them go, I was already in danger because I'd been found, and I didn't want anyone else to be in trouble because of me.

I would keep them safe in whatever ways I could. And right now, staying away from them was the best way to do that.

"Tell us if anything goes wrong." My mother tells me as they pull up to the Fawn's home.

I nod and promise her before getting out of the vehicle. They would come back for me later tonight. No one wanted me to drive without company. Just like they asked, the guards would be staying by the front entrance in case anything happened.