Clarissa's POV

A knock on the door forces me to get up from the ground. I didn’t want anyone but Autumn to see me like this. If it were her, she would have called my name.

I walk over to the door and unlock it. My breath hitches when I see Damon standing in front of me.

I gasp at the look on his face.

I was wrong. So very wrong.

He wasn’t as unbothered as Anya made it seem. Dark circles were under his eyes, his lips were dry, and his face looked like he hadn’t slept in days. What has he been through these past few days without being by my side? Is it possible that he’s like this because of me?

This was not the face of someone happy about their engagement; this was the face of someone who was having doubts.

“Did you eat anything today?” He asks, breaking the silence.

My lips part. Was that seriously the first question he had for me? It’s been days. He’s been ignoring all of my messages. He never once explained what he’d been up to. This is the longest we’ve ever been apart. And this is the first thing that he says to me?

I fold my arms stubbornly and glare at him.

He winced at the look I gave him. Good. I wanted him to know exactly how angry I was at him. It’s the angriest I’ve ever felt.

“Is there a reason you are in my room right now?” I demand. “Or are you here to apologize for something I don’t want an apology for again?”

He swallows and takes a step in my direction. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” I warn him. “I can’t think clearly when you’re near me, and this is the one time I want to be thinking clearly.”

He pauses, and I can see the confusion in his eyes.

“Why are you here, Damon?” I demand. “Shouldn’t you be with Anya picking out more dresses? Shouldn’t you be with her to ensure she’s happy and cared for? Or are you suddenly finished with ignoring me?”

He frowns at me. “Picking out dresses?”

I narrow my eyes. “Isn’t that what you’ve been up to all this time? Spending all your time with Anya? Isn’t that why you’ve ignored me and acted like I no longer exist?”

His jaw clenches, “Austin and Hunter asked for my help. After everything they did for Autumn and Atticus, I couldn’t say no. I’ve been helping them find a groom for Hunter’s sister since Atticus was busy.

Hunter seems to think that his sister is secretly meeting one of the Blackners; he doesn’t want her to get involved with them since the Blackners aren’t allowed to have mates. I wasn’t out with Anya all this time. I don’t know where you’ve heard that, but it isn’t true.”

Of course, Anya lied to me, and I foolishly believed her. It was clear that her dishonest ways didn’t change, even though she wanted everyone to think that she was different. Her lie just made everything easier for me. I knew I wasn’t doing the wrong thing by fighting for Damon anymore. She was the same woman she was in the past.

If she lied to me about this, there was no doubt in my mind that Anya didn’t already know of my feelings for Damon. Of course, she knew. She was intentionally trying to hurt my feelings.

“I came to apologize.” He finally says.

“Of course,” I mumble. “To apologize. Just like I expected.”

“Please let me finish, Clarissa.” He begs.

I don’t say anything. I waited for him to say what he wanted even though I knew I wouldn’t like it.