Chapter 34

“What kind of a bastard am I? I actually couldn’t tell that my own wife had been replaced.” His gaze shifted to his father. “Father, this son of yours has too many flaws. Over the past twenty years, I’ve actually visited you many times. I’ve also seen the poster you published in the newspapers to look for me. I immediately headed to the Kang home when I saw it. However, you weren’t at home at the time. My second brother, was home and he told me to never return as he feared it would interfere with his succession rights. In order to not compete with him, I only dared to look at you from afar.”

Hyunsoo was deeply moved. “seok ah, I never knew your second brother did such a thing while he was alive. You’re not unfilial. I was the one who raised your second brother poorly.”

“eunji was a good woman.” hyunseok sighed. “tae told me that you have some misunderstandings about eunji's character and believed she was after the Kang family’s inheritance. In fact, eunji truly did not care about my identity as the Kang family’s third son when she was alive. After I left the Kang family, her feelings for me did not waver. At the time, she said that it was fine to leave the Kanh family’s inheritance to my second brother if he wished to have it all. She only mentioned that I needed to remind my brother to take good care of you. After all, both eunji and I were unable to care for you.”

When hyunsoo heard this, his expression turned guilty. “If only I knew this earlier. I shouldn’t have stopped you from being with eunji. If I hadn’t, perhaps your family wouldn’t have suffered so much.”

hyunseok shook his head. “Father, you had your own position to consider at the time. I was the one in the wrong. I clearly knew that you preferred to have a daughter-in-law who was of equal standing with our family, yet my heart fell for eunji. Everyone has their own fate. No one can predict what will happen in the future.”

“My son, you’ve really grown up. You’re really mature now.” hyunsoo did not expect his son to not blame him and immediately began to tear up.

“Father, I’ve not only grown up. I’ve also grown old.” hyunseok smiled bitterly. He was in his fifties now.

“In the eyes of your father, you will always be a child.” hyunsoo's gaze was filled with love as he watched his son.

Sometime later, taehyung and hyunsoo accompanied hyunseok to visit a graveyard in the suburbs.

Hyunseok remained before eunji's gravestone for an entire afternoon. He was silent, his eyes filled with despair. He appeared as though he had nothing more to live for.

Taehyung and hyunsoo remained by his side in worry.

“Initially, I thought that once I recovered and learned to walk again, I would go and look for you.” hyunseok murmured.

Taehyung was frightened by his words. “Dad, you promised me that you won’t leave us.”

“I previously thought your mother was missing, and wanted to go looking for her.” He sighed as he touched his wife’s gravestone. “eunji, in this lifetime, I’ve let my father down. I’ve also let you and our children down. I can’t come to you immediately, but don’t worry. I won’t marry anyone else. I’ll watch our children carefully and love them properly in your stead.”

“Dad…” taehyung was deeply moved as he approached hyunseok.

The three of them only returned to the Kang family’s villa when it became dark.

For the past few days, taehyung had been accompanying his father and grandfather in the Kang family villa. Even jungkook was temporarily staying in the Kang home with him.

People were taken aback by taehyung's status as the Kang family’s only grandson.

Although the Kang Group was second to the Jeon family’s power, taehyung was not only the Kang family’s successor but was also the director of the V Finance Group.