Chapter 3

In no time at all, Matt and Maggie had  fallen into the habit of working out in the gym together three or four times a week. Most days, rain or shine, they rode home together from the community center. When the sun was out they ran together, challenging each other to improve time and distance. Maggie was the better swimmer, and gave Matt some instructions that he could use if he did make it to Ranger school; he gave her lessons in martial arts in exchange.

Sport was not the only pleasure they had in common. Often they stopped for coffee on the way home, or occasionally went to a movie or concert on a weekend, each paying for themselves.  No matter what they were doing, they never seemed to run out of things to talk about.  People at the community center grew used to seeing them together, always laughing and talking and clearly enjoying each other's company, and it was not long before many began to assume that they were a couple.

Sometimes Maggie almost thought they were, too. Within a few months Matt had become her best friend, and they talked about everything under the sun – except their feelings about each other. She knew that she could easily fall in love with him – maybe she already was in love with him – but she would not allow herself to think about that. She had plans for her life, and a serious relationship wasn't in them for at least another 10 years.

Besides, Matt himself had given no indication that he thought of her as anything except a pal. "He could have anybody he wanted, why would he want you?" she scolded herself whenever the dream of something more started to surface. "Besides, he's got plans, he's leaving in a few months, the last thing he needs is a girlfriend hanging around her neck." She was determined to enjoy the days they had together, and pushed away any thought of something more.

There was, she knew, something different about Matt. Although he could be funny and teasing, he was not cocky; in fact, he didn't even seem to be aware of how much charisma he had. People were drawn to him, somehow; even the adults who worked at the community center sought him out and treated him as an equal. It wasn't just his good looks, although the older women often said he looked like some actor named Robert Redford back when he was young. Maybe it was the way he listened attentively to everybody, or the quiet competence with which he went about his tasks and even helped others with theirs.

He seemed to be there when you needed him – Maggie saw him helping the receptionist wrestle with the ancient copy machine, and another day he was spotted assisting the gymnastics instructor to move equipment into position. One Wednesday afternoon a senior citizen slipped on a wet spot in the lobby, falling heavily onto her back. Matt was there almost instantly, soothing the woman, telling her not to move, directing others to call paramedics and bring blankets, and holding her hand until he was able to turn her care over to the professionals. He would, Maggie knew, make an excellent soldier.

The community center was closed over the long winter break, and with no classes or homework the two friends had their first chance to spend whole days together. The rainy city enjoyed an unusual spell of clear, cold weather that lasted from Christmas to New Year's, perfect for bike riding and exploring the town.

Maggie was surprised to discover that, although he had grown up locally, Matt had never visited most of the spots beloved by younger children and their parents. These were places that she still enjoyed visiting when she had the time; parks and fountains and curious spots that spoke of local history.  they visited the Oregon Historical Society, the Japanese American Memorial, and the Rose Garden. One cold evening they went to the zoo lights display, and rode the little train together with families and groups of teenagers,   oohing and aahing over the  illuminated displays that decorated the extensive grounds.

 Another night they ate take-out Chinese food at a riverfront park while watching the Christmas Fleet, the annual parade of decorated boats.  The fleet cruised from the mouth of the Columbia River down to Wilamette falls, their lights glimmering in the chilly dark waters and the recorded sounds of carols drifting to where the two young people sat, shivering. Fortunately Matt had stuff a blanket into his back pack, and now he gallantly draped it around Maggie's shoulders.