Chapter 10

The next day, Sunday, Maggie picked Jimmy and Matt up for the drive across town to the birthday party. The arrangement was made at Matt's suggestion; he thought that it would be more comfortable for everyone if they arrived together and Jimmy could make the introductions. Maggie had to agree this would be the best way to handle things. Despite her burst of confidence the previous morning, today she was nervous about how they would all react to each other. Jimmy's ebullience and enthusiasm was likely to get them through any awkwardness.

Maggie arrived a little early; she was curious to see how Matt lived and anxious to make sure that it was an appropriate place for her son to spend overnights. Matt himself answered her knock.

"Hey Maggie, c'mon in." he said. "I'm afraid we're running a little behind here. I made the mistake of letting Jimmy open the new toys he got from my family -"

"..and now they're spread all over the place!" Maggie finished the sentence. They exchanged a rueful smile, the kind of exchange, Maggie thought sadly, that regular parents must have all the time.

"I'll just get in there and help him hurry things along," Matt said, gesturing in the direction of the bedroom.

"No, that's okay. He can do it himself. Right, Jimmy?" Maggie raised her voice for the benefit of her son.

"Yes, mom," came the muffled, and obviously unhappy reply.

"Well, champ, the sooner you get it done the sooner you can get some more loot to spread around your Mom's place," Matt called with a smile for Maggie.

"Yeah, that's right!" Jimmy replied, and they could hear the sound of legos being dropped into a bin at a higher rate of speed.

"Have a seat," Matt gestured toward the living room. "Do you want anything to drink? Orange juice, or coffee?"

"No, I'm fine." Megan declined the offer as she settled herself on one of the easy chairs, looking around curiously. The room was sparsely but adequately furnished, and boxes labeled "coffee table" and "end tables" indicated that Matt was still in the process of decorating. In addition to the living room set there were a large desk and bookshelves, an entry table and a few modern paintings on the walls. Everything was clean and orderly, as she would have expected from Matt - but not, as she knew, an easy standard to maintain around her son.

"Are you sure I shouldn't help him?" Matt asked anxiously, glancing first at his watch and then back at the bedroom door.

"No, that's okay. He has to learn to pick up after himself, and he's really good at getting you to do it for him. Besides, O'Leary Family Time means everyone is expected to be at least 15 minutes late."

Matt chuckled. "So what if he doesn't get it done by the time we absolutely have to leave?"

"Ah, well there we have some choices. I usually give him a 10-minute warning and tell him that anything that isn't picked up by then - anything I have to pick up - will be put away and he won't see it for a while."

Matt was nodding. "Good strategy. I'll remember that."

"I'm guessing you learned a lot about strategy - Ranger training will be very helpful as a parent." Matt nodded, but said nothing. He seemed at ease, relaxed in a way that she had not seen since they were teenagers together. This apartment, spare and plain as it was, suited him. There was no clutter, no waste, but everything necessary for any likely circumstance was all there.

"Matt, how long have you lived here?"

"About a year, since my separation from the army."

"Do you miss it?"