Chapter 4

Maggie's senior prom was fast approaching, and she still didn't have a date. The obvious thing to do would be to invite her best friend to escort her. She could just imagine the flutter Matt in a tuxedo would cause among her classmates, and the thought of dancing in his arms caused more than a flutter in her own heart and body.  Still she hesitated - what if he refused?  She did not want to risk being disappointed, but even more she was afraid that the request could make their easy friendship awkward and uncomfortable for both. If only she could stop thinking about his long legs, his firm abdomen, those strong hands and how they would feel on her breasts, her belly, her - "stop it, Maggie!" she scolded herself.  Don't ruin the best friendship you've ever had.

The dilemma was solved one afternoon in April. The days were getting longer, and after work they had ridden their bikes to Laurelhurst park. Lounging on a bench near the pond, the watched small children feeding the ducks, and chuckled when one ran shrieking from a large goose who wanted a bigger share.

"I loved coming here when I was a kid," Maggie said idly as she drained her water bottle.  "My mom used to walk us down here all the time in the afternoons. In the summer we'd get a season pass and swim in the outdoor pool every day. That's where I learned how to swim."

Matt looked at her fondly. "I love hearing you talk about your childhood. It all sounds so - normal."

"You never talk about your childhood," Maggie inquired cautiously. She felt him shift uncomfortably beside her, and was not surprised when he got to his feet and stood, arms crossed over his chest, and gazed out at the pond. She tried not to notice that he looked just as good from behind as from the front, his long legs displayed to advantage in his jeans and the width of his shoulders emphasized as the tee shirt pulled tight across his back.

"Not much to tell. Besides, my brother Sean has been my guardian since I was twelve." He shrugged. "I guess  I just find it easier to live in the present." There was a pause, and he deftly changed the subject. "So, are you getting excited about graduation?"

"Oh, well, you know. There's a lot to do, I guess."

"Well, um, are you going to prom? I skipped mine last weekend."

"Why, are you asking me?" Maggie was surprised at herself for being so straightforward.

Matt turned around and grinned at her. "It's your prom, you're supposed to ask me."

"Would you go if I did?"

"Sure. Of course."

Maggie saw the kindness in his eyes - he knew she didn't have a date, she realized, and he was going out of his way to make it easy for her. Suddenly, prom didn't seem to matter any more.

"I don't think it's really your kind of thing, is it?"

Matt smiled. "Well, I'd have to get a crash course in dancing."

Maggie laughed. "I hated dancing class. We had to go every Friday in 7th grade - "The Friday NIght Dancing Class" We even had to wear white gloves!"  She enjoyed seeing Matt's eyes widen in astonishment, and his sudden bark of laughter. "Boys too?"

"No, just the girls." She paused thoughtfully. "You know, Matt, I don't think Prom is really my kind of thing either. "I really appreciate your thinking of it, though."

Matt gave another of his characteristic shrugs, then reached out a hand to pull her to her feet. "Time to get going, MIssy, or you'll be late for dinner."

"No, Matt, I really appreciate it. You're a good friend."

"Friends don't let friends miss prom if they really want to go," he said, jumping on to his bicycle.  "Come on, I'll race you!"  He sped off, and Maggie, determined not to be left behind, raced after him..