Chapter 6 Guilty

“What?! Hayate?!” The Jounin in the office all started talking at once.

“Sadly yes,” the hokage ended the murmurs, “his body was discovered this morning, near Kikyo Castle.”

“Was it Orochimaru?” Anko asked.

“We can’t jump to conclusions,” Kakashi said.

“We should postpone the Chuunin Exams and go after him,” Ginta said.

Sarutobi shook his head. “No. When he confronted Anko, he warned her not to.”

“But why?” Someone else said.

Sarutobi sighed. “Orochimaru is strong enough to take down a small nation by himself. After he deserted the village he was probably courted by many other countries. Further more, he harbors deep grudges against Konoha. It would make any nation desire him.”

“Are you saying that our allies might partner with Orochimaru and betray Konoha?”

“Well,” Kakashi said puzzled, “the treaties of alliance are no more than verbal agreements generally…”

“In any case,” Sarutobi interrupted, “we don’t have enough information at the time. We have already dispatched the ANBU to gather information.”

“Well, you should question Taryn Desertstorm,” someone growled, “everyone knows she’s in league with him.”

Kakashi glared at the speaker. “She’s not.“

“Of course you would say that Kakashi. You’re infatuated by the girl.”

Kakashi stood up. “You wanna say that to my face?”

“Kakashi sit down,” the hokage ordered.

“She wears the curse mark,” Ginta continued.

“So does Anko,” Kakashi growled, “are you saying she’s in league with him too?”

“Anko has been in the village,” someone else said, “no one knows where Taryn has been. She left the village twice. She betrayed Suna already. Who knows what she might be plotting.”

“She was seen with Hayate yesterday,” someone else remembered.

“Taryn would never harm Hayate,” Kakashi said.

“Enough!” the hokage called, “Taryn Desertstorm did not kill Hayate. And I have reasons to believe that she is not in league with Orochimaru.”

“Lord Hokage,” Shiro protested.

“I said enough,” Sarutobi said, “Taryn is in Konoha because I have decreed it. You will leave her be. Is that understood?” He waited until everyone had complied. “Good. Now dismissed.” The Jounin rose and left the office one by one. “Kakashi,” Sarutobi said, “will you say for a moment?” Kakashi looked surprised, but nodded.

...

“What is it?” Kakashi asked while he followed the hokage down the hall.

“I didn’t want to tell the others,” Sarutobi answered, “you have seen their reaction.”

“Tell them what?”

The hokage stopped in front of a door. “Who it was that found Hayate,” he said and opened the door.

He stepped aside for Kakashi to enter first.

At the window stood a small figure with long dark hair. She was almost hidden by the shadows except for the small ray of light that fell on her face. “Taryn,” Kakashi whispered. She had her back turned to them, but lifted her head when he said her name, She looked over her shoulder and caught the hokage’s eye. He nodded at her curtly.