Chapter Sixteen

Being around Rex was nice. He was pleasant and took this all very seriously, but it didn’t damper his personality. It didn’t hurt that he knew all the orcs and that was where we spent most of our time.

“Do you want to stay here, Kat?” His golden eyes seemed to ask a question I couldn’t answer.

“No, I need to go back before Andrew wakes. He knows I’m going, but I don’t really want the fight that will happen once he finds out that I came here alone and accepted help from you.” I told him.

“Is he your mate?” He swallowed and looked away.

“I’m not sure. He seems to think that I need time to experience life before he’s willing to call us a couple. Last time I came, it left lingering feelings of attraction to others and he took that as a problem. Before this mess started, I was tempted to move out. But now, I don’t even know if I’ll come back from this adventure. All I know is that I need to do this, it’s the right thing to do. I’ve no clue what I’m going to do about Andrew.” I sighed.

“Do you love him?” He looked me dead in the eyes.

“Yes and no. I’ve dated a lot. I was a serial dater in high school. But as an adult, not as much. My concept of love is screwy. Yes, I love him. But right now, I couldn’t say if I’m in love with him. After his decision to give me space, it makes me think that my original thoughts of love for him could’ve just been because of my attraction to him. I hate when things get too complex.” I answered honestly.

“Well, don’t worry about it until we get back. Things can change like the wind when it comes to real life. If your vampire really wants you in his life, he’ll let you know the moment you’re back here. I promise.” I watched as he went to touch me, but thought better of it.

“Do you mind if I keep all the stuff here? I’ll bring the scales and my daggers when I come back. I’ll be here tomorrow too. For the fitting and you owe me a meal.” I laughed.

“Yes, I do. Go ahead and leave it. I’ll put it in my house. When will you be here so I can fetch you from the front?” He asked me.

“Um, not early. I don’t do early. Maybe two-ish?” It sounded like a good time to me.

“It’s a date. I’ll see you on the morrow.” He smiled.

Rex walked me back to the front and left. I felt a tug for me to turn back to him as soon as I had left his presence, but I knew it was a bad idea to do it. There are moments when I can be logical and ignore whatever witchy signals my brain gets.

When I returned to the house, Sophie scowled at me.

“Where did you go? You’ve been gone for hours and it was raining! What are you wearing?” She looked at me like I had grown two heads.

I was baffled by her question until I looked down. My cheeks turned red as I had forgotten Rex had gotten me orc wears to put on while my clothes were soaked. Soft hide pants formed and covered my bottom half, tall smooth boots covered my feet like they were made for them, and a very revealing hide top made up the outfit. I laughed. It made sense now the strange looks I had gotten on mass transit.

“Oh, my. I forgot.” I snorted.

“Forgot what? You went to a sex club? Where did you go?” She looked at me suspiciously.

“Nowhere bad. I was just soaked when I got there and a friend got me an outfit. Unfortunately, I forgot to change before I left.” I giggled again.

“You aren’t going to tell me where you went?” She asked incredulously.

“No. I’m not a child, nor am I a prisoner here.” I crossed my arms.

“Indeed.” She pursed her lips.

I went upstairs to change before Andrew had a chance to get up and see me in my latest outfit. I decided it would come with me. I hopped in the shower to wash away any Depot scents that might have clung to me. I knew I probably should have just answered Soph, but I didn’t like feeling like a kid that had to check in. This was my life and with Andrew being his stupid self, I needed to act like it was mine to live. I put on some yoga pants and a Venice Beach sweatshirt. I was brushing my hair when there was a knock my door.

“Come in.” I called.

Andrew stood in all his dark beauty glory. He looked at me, his emotions locked away from me.

“Can I help you?” I looked over at him.

“Sophie was concern about you.” I could tell he was worried from what she had told him.

“I’m fine.” I smiled at him.

“Right. Do you need any help preparing for your journey?” He swallowed.

“No. I think I’m quite good right now. Would you like to have dinner tonight?” I asked him.

“I wish I could, Kat. I have to head over to the wolves. Not as an agent of P.N.I., but as the Master vampire that signed a treaty.” He sighed.

“Oh, do you need me to go with you?” I knew dealing with mixed supes could cause issues.

“No, I’ll be fine. You rest and enjoy your evening. Sophie requested the evening off, so you’ll have to fend for yourself.” He checked to see if it caused any reaction.

“I hope she’s feeling well.” I said.

“I think she’s just tired and maybe a little annoyed about whatever happened this afternoon.” He looked at me for an explanation.

“Hmm. Well, it wasn’t my intention to upset her.” I shrugged.

“Right.” I could tell he wasn’t used to me being cold and distant, and I really hoped that it was shaking his thoughts.

“If you need me, let me know, okay?” I was tired of playing games and just wanted the night to myself if that was how it was going to be.

“Yes, of course. I’ll excuse myself now. Enjoy your evening, Kat.” He closed the door gently.

I breathed out slowly, it was really hard to be so distant. It wasn’t in my nature to be cold with people. Maybe it was better that I try to cut them off before I went. I didn’t want anyone to hurt if I didn’t make it back. I swallowed down the thought and went into the bathroom and grabbed a bottle of nail polish. If I die, I’ll have pretty feet. It was the strangest thought to go through my head lately.