18- I Don't Do Partners

Alice

“I’ll talk to him after class.”

“You don’t have to, Ali.” Zoey told me, rolling her eyes.

“No, I do.” I insisted. “He’s going to really get it, too.”

She smiled and playfully rolled her eyes as we walked down the hallway towards the court yard where we still spent our lunches.

“Anyway, have you talked to Lance at all?” I asked her curiously.

She shook her head. “No, he hasn’t called, but you’ll be the first to know if he does.”

“Okay.” I sighed, sitting down on the bench. “I’m sure he’ll call when he can.”

“Of course he will.” Zoey assured me. “And I’m sure you’re the one he’ll call when he gets the chance.”

I smiled softly before changing the subject. “So did you hear what they’re doing for the winter formal?” I asked her.

“I didn’t even know we had a winter formal.” She denied.

I grinned at her. “Sadie Hawkins.”

She frowned in confusion. “You mean, when the girl asks the guy?”

I nodded in confirmation. “Yep.”

“Well, it’s a good thing we don’t go to school dances.” She chuckled.

“I think it’s sexist. I mean, who says that girls can’t ask guys on normal dances? Like, we have to have a special dance just for the girls to ask the guys?”

“You go take that up with the school board.” Zoey laughed.

I sighed heavily before an idea perked in my head. “Hey, doesn’t Danny have this lunch period?”

“Yeah, why?” She asked curiously.

“Why don’t I go talk to him now, then?”

“If you want to, I suppose. But, like I’ve stated, you really don’t have to talk to him. I can handle it.”

“I’m your best friend, I think we both know that I’m not going to leave this alone.” I told her matter of factly as I stood up from the bench and put on my scary face. “I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

I hurried into the school and towards the cafeteria that was busy with a full area of students, which made it hard to spot Danny, but eventually, I found him at a table with a bunch of guys on the other side of the cafeteria.

When he saw me marching towards him, his face fell into one of terror- that’s good, I want him to fear me.

“I need to talk to you. Alone.” I told him, standing over the table of guys that were now ogling over me, which made me very uncomfortable. I mean, I was wearing shorts today, but they weren’t that short and there was no need to stare.

“I don’t think that’s a very good idea.” He muttered.

“Okay.” I chirped, taking a chair from a nearby table that nobody was using and placed it right beside Danny at his table before sitting down. “Then we’ll talk here.”

“Look, please don’t hurt me.” He pleaded. “I never meant to hurt her.”

“Homework.” One of the boys said randomly, causing me to look over at him in confusion. The boy looked rather terrified and he wasn’t even the one on the hot seat right now. “I have homework to do.” He blurted quickly, standing from the table and nearly running out of the cafeteria, leaving three other guys other than Danny sitting at the table.