8

Snow littered the ground, massive piles of the stuff lining the street, icy wind blew around her in rapid waves. Anita grinned, delighted by this turn of events as she jumped down the short flight of stairs at the door. Spurred onward by the closeness of the guards behind her, she ran, using her magic to pull the snow out of her way and piling it behind her. She could hear the shouts from the guards as they attempted to chase her, slowed down by the thick white powder in their way.

She ran tirelessly, taking a random series of turns, anything to get her out of their sights. Cars screeched to a halt when she sprinted across streets, the drivers blinded by billowing snow and slamming on their breaks in a panic. One bumped harshly into her side, making her grunt in pain before she slammed her hand on its hood, leaving a sizable dent, and continued her run.

Her breath puffed out like clouds in her face in the freezing air. Adrenaline coursing through her veins, she didn't slow until she was far, far away from the compound. Hundreds of unremarkable buildings separating her from her old home. I did it, she panted, when she finally stopped to catch her breath. Now what? She gazed down the street, nothing but nameless buildings on either side. Her spirit dimmed slightly; she had no food, no money, no idea where she was and she was hopelessly under dressed for this weather. Goosebumps had risen on her body, the cold soaking into her skin now that she wasn't moving and she paced back and forth in an attempt to keep the heat.

Shivers assaulted her body, her teeth chattering a mile a minute while she contemplated her next actions. Standing here won't do you any good, she scolded herself, picking up her pace until she was once again sprinting down the streets. Humans out for morning jogs or walks stared at her as she ran by and she could only imagine what they thought. A girl with blood dripping down her arm, soaked into her slim clothing, wearing a thin t-shirt in zero degree weather and running around aimlessly like a maniac.

Regardless, none of those factors urged anyone to ask her if she needed help and she couldn't help the rage she felt at all the stares. She wondered if this was how they would treat their own kind and guessed it was. With her crystals covered by clothing and the distance between them, not near enough to see her hands, she would look to them like any human. Their attitudes were repulsive but she didn't really expect any different, not after her treatment at the hands of the Keepers.

She took to alleys instead; nothing on the streets would help her and she would be better hidden in the shadows. Wandering aimlessly for what seemed like hours, there was nothing for her to tell time with, before stumbling upon another person. She wouldn't have stopped but the squealing of tires drew her attention and she followed the sound. A small blue car was stuck in the snow and the driver was ruthlessly rolling the tires in an attempt to get it free. Anita hesitantly approached the vehicle, the petit woman in the car slammed on her steering wheel in frustration and Anita jumped at the loud honk that resulted.

"Need some help?" Anita called, lightly tapping on the passenger window. The woman, who Anita noticed was wearing glasses, with chestnut brown hair falling in gentle curls down her face, jumped at her appearance but rolled down the window slightly.

"I can't get this stupid car to move," she grumbled, "And it's too cold to get out and shovel."

Anita walked around the car, pretending to examine the snow but really just stalling for time, trying to gauge how the women would react if she asked for help. She decided not to ask. "I'll get you out, if you get me out of here." Anita proposed the bargain and waited.

"Kid, if you can get me out of here I'll drive you wherever you want," she responded eagerly.

Anita nodded in agreement. "Take your foot off the gas." At once the car stopped its obnoxious noises, the tires spinning to a halt. Anita crouched downward, pulling snow out of the way with her magic. "Now drive." The car squealed a bit more and she moved to the back, piling that snow out of the way as well and the car jerked forward suddenly. Finally, Anita cleared the piles from the alley's skinny road, allowing the car to move freely until it reached the main street.

"How did you...oh," understanding entered the woman's gaze as she looked over Anita, "you're one of them."

Anita tensed, regretting her carelessness about using the magic. She stood awkwardly to the side, expecting the woman to freak out, or call the Keepers, but she just stared at her, eyebrows raised in confusion.

A few minutes of staring passed before the woman spoke, "Are you gonna...get in or...what?"

Anita blinked in surprise, "You're still going to help?"

She nodded slowly, like it was the most obvious thing in the world and the passenger door popped open. "A deals a deal. You help me, I'll help you, although I am getting a coffee first. Had a meeting here at six in the morning and I've been up for hours. So if you ever get in the car and we go somewhere, I need a coffee."

"Oh." Anita chewed on her lip and slowly approached the vehicle. "Well thank you. I wasn't expecting that," she murmured as she ducked into the car.

"You're welcome?" The woman stared at her warily, finally realising the state she was in. "What..erm..what happened to you?"

Anita gently pulled the door shut, "I'll explain while you get your coffee."

She nodded once, reaching over and backing the car out into the street. "Fair enough, where to?"

Anita glanced out the window, resting her head against the cold glass surface and watching a few houses fly by before responding, "Anywhere but here."