11

Anita gaped at the sheer amount of food that was placed in front of them, the waiters depositing plate after plate onto the table's checkered surface. "Did you order the entire menu?" Anita whispered, looking over the variety of foods as they walked away with an, "Enjoy your meal!"

She'd ordered everything from burgers to sandwiches, fries to onion rings, nuggets to fruit platters, a few sundaes slowly melting on the side. Meriam shrugged, hiding her grin behind her mug of coffee as she took in her shocked expression. "Eat," she ordered when Anita just stared at her.

"This is not the cheapest thing on the menu," Anita protested.

"I'm aware, now eat." Meriam shoved a burger at her and Anita reluctantly took it, guilt welling in her chest. Grease dripped down her palm as she held it between her fingers, the smell of bacon drifting to her nose.

"I am not going to eat all this by myself," Anita grumbled, taking a small bite of her burger. Guilt aside, it was heaven and she couldn't suppress a moan of bliss as she dug into the food. Meriam giggled at her enthusiasm and took a fry to nibble on.

"I didn't expect you to," Meriam pointed out, dipping a fry in a pile of ketchup and plopping it in her mouth. "I take it they don't feed you very well in there," she remarked as Anita carefully put the empty wrapper down and wiped her face.

"Smoothies and other disgustingly healthy food." Anita frowned at the rest of the food, wanting to try it all but also wanting to wait for Meriam to actually eat something instead of nibbling on fries. "Are you going to eat?"

"I'm not that hungry, don't worry about me," she said, shoving another plate at her.

"I..."Anita glanced over the food, practically salivating at the sight of it, "I cannot eat all of this."

Meriam shrugged, "Just eat what you can and take the rest to go."

"I can't pay you for this..." Anita's frown deepened, Meriam had already done a lot for her, she didn't need to break her bank in food as well.

Meriam shook her head, "Money isn't an issue, now eat before it gets cold."

She didn't need anymore encouragement, diving into the next plate. Onion rings were a new thing for her and Meriam passed her a bottle of ketchup to dip them in. She decided she liked them better without the red liquid and put it to the side.

Anita tried little bits of everything, piling food down until she thought she would be sick and then some. Every Time she'd stop Meriam would snicker and push another plate her way. Eventually she got tired of the food and turned her attention to the sundaes. There were two flavours although she didn't know what they were, ice cream wasn't a treat allotted to Guardians. Meriam informed her they were hot fudge and caramel and she hesitated at choosing one. "Which one do you like?"

"They're both good, try them."

"But which one do you prefer?" Anita pressed, wanting to save it for her.

Meriam rolled her eyes and grabbed the caramel one, eating small spoonfuls between fries.

Anita nodded in satisfaction and pulled the hot fudge one over, dipping her spoon in and grinning at the taste. "This is amazing."

"Good, finish it off." Meriam grabbed hers off the table and leaned back in her seat, placing it back on the table after a few more bites and returning to her coffee.

When she was finally done, full to the point of bursting, Meriam signaled the waiters and they carried the leftovers away to pack up in doggy bags. "Thank you," Anita murmured, slightly embarrassed by her behaviour. Meriam, who had only eaten some fries, half a sundae and her coffee, grinned in response.

"That was impressive."

Anita ducked her head and stared at the floor, feeling her face warm up.

Meriam reached across the table and poked her forehead, "Don't need to be embarrassed, I bought that for you. More you eat, the less hassle it is to take home." Meriam paused and tilted her head, "Speaking of home, what are your plans for the night?"

Anita slowly raised her head from the table and shrugged. "Hide somewhere, preferably high up so the Herects won't find me if I sleep." Anita rubbed her forehead, "I probably should have planned this daring escape of mine a bit better."

Meriam frowned, glancing at the window. It was still early but already the sky was steadily getting darker. In her enjoyment, Anita hadn't realised that the restaurant had started to clear out as well. The only patrons, aside from them,were an older couple and a mother with a small baby that was sleeping peacefully.

The next few minutes passed in silence, the waiters came and went with their doggy bags before Meriam finally stood up. She jerked her head for Anita to follow and grabbed a few of the bags. Anita grabbed the rest and scrambled to her feet, following Meriam to the door.

Anita pushed open the door, using her knee to hit the metal bar and holding it open for the other girl. Cold wind ruffled their hair and Anita shook her head to get it out of her eyes. When she could finally see again she stopped, dropping her bags to the ground and moving carefully in front of Meriam.

"Go back inside," Anita ordered, blocking the slow moving figure from her view. The Alpha stalked towards them, dead eyes full of hunger as it stared at Anita. Her crystals glowed beneath her shirt and she tugged it over her head, magic already curling throughout her body.

"What are you.." Meriam trailed off, eyes widening at the Herect. She gripped at Anita's arm and tried to pull her back but she shrugged her off.

"Just get inside, I'll handle it." Meriam hesitated and Anita shoved her lightly towards the building. "Go! I'll be fine."

Anita pulled the ice around them, creating a sharp spear in each hand as Meriam scrambled back into the diner.

"Bring it on," Anita snarled, lunging at the Alpha.