20

The Betas snarled and lunged for her, however the chains around their necks prevented them from reaching her, yet. Anita realised that the grinding noise she'd heard was a set of devices along the wall, attached to their chains. A wheel slowly spun behind each Beta, granting them a bit more slack with each passing second.

Anita swallowed thickly, she figured she had about five minutes before they would be able to reach her at the slow pace. She shifted around into a more comfortable position that took most of the weight off her leg and tried to think of something to do.

Her magic was her only weapon in this state and she closed her eyes to focus her energy, buckling to her knees under a fresh wave of agony. Her crystals pulsed against her skin, unwilling to work through the broken stones. Pushing through the pain, she tried again, barely managing to pull enough water to form a small spear of ice in her hand.

Anita panted from exhaustion, she was sweating enough water to take them all out if she could only focus enough to do it. She slowly rose back into a crouch, and the Betas snarled, jerking against their chains in an attempt to get at her blood.

Anita was consciously aware of how close they were getting to her, she could almost feel their slobbering breaths on her skin. She took a deep breath and whipped around, launching the spear into the skull of one of the beasts. A loud thump signaled the Beta hitting the floor just as another reached her. Anita lunged forward, wrapping the short chain around its neck and twisted her hands. The Beta snapped its teeth inches from her face but she held on, slowly choking the breath out of it until it too collapsed on the ground.

Teeth sunk into her leg and Anita howled in pain as their toxins worked their way into her bloodstream and she lashed out, kicking the side of its head. The chains trapped her leg and she hissed at the sharp jolt. Anita rolled onto her back, a movement that awkwardly trapped her hands and legs but allowed her to protect her face as the Beta leaped on her. She maneuvered her legs, trapping the beast's head between her legs and jerked, snapping its neck and rolling back onto her front.

There were only two left, one on her left and one slightly to her right. She didn't know how she was going to take them out; she lacked the energy to fight them anymore and doubted she could pull up any more magic. Anita braced herself as the Betas approached.

The grinding sounded again and Anita tensed, shutting her eyes and curling into herself as both sets of fangs sunk into her skin. Her body felt like it was on fire as the Betas snapped and battered at her flesh.

She didn't know how long it lasted before they were finally ripped away, their roars resonating in her ears. Their venom left her muscles locked, paralyzed by the sheer amount of toxin in her body and she slumped to the floor.

"Well, that was quite impressive. I've never met a Guardian who could actually fight in these chains, let alone one in your condition," Takeem murmured, crouching down near her head.

"Go to hell," Anita wheezed, even breathing was agony.

Takeem chuckled. "There are worse places to go," he said. The world spun as she was jerked to her feet, another Keeper carried down a chair and Takeem tossed her into it. He locked her arms to the rests and Anita choked out a laugh. Well this is familiar.

"What's so funny?" Takeem asked, pacing around her.

"Humans are all the same," she coughed.

"So are Guardians," he responded dryly, flicking his wrist at one of the other Keepers.

He scurried away, returning a few seconds later. He dragged something behind him, shoving it to the ground in front of her.

"Anita?" Layette stared up at her with wide, terrified eyes.

"Layette?" The girl looked awful, bruises lined her dark skin, and she had more than a few freely bleeding wounds. "What happened?"

"They," tears brimmed at the corners of her eyes and her voice cracked, "they killed Diaxel."

"Diaxel?" she breathed, feeling her blood go cold. "Why?"

"He..." Layette swallowed and glanced around nervously but the Keepers were barely paying attention to the two of them anymore, too focused on returning the Betas to their cages. "He fought back, when they tried to put this place on lock down. So they...gunned him down."

"I'm so sorry, this is all my fault," Anita whispered.

Layette pressed her head against Anita's legs. "It's not your fault. He just...my god. It's only been a day but there's so much happening. Did you," Layette lowered her voice to a whisper, "did you learn anything useful out there?"

"I...maybe, I don't know. There was a lawyer, some government's kid that wants to advocate for us," Anita murmured. "Layette, they don't know."

"Know what?" Layette hissed.

"They all think this is a sanctuary, no one knows what's going on here, not even the government. The Keepers aren't allowed to do anything to us and I found someone who might look into it but it's going to take some time."

Layette shook her head slowly. "We might not have time, Anita, you don't know what they're going to do to you."

"I think I have a pretty good estimate," Anita said flatly and Layette flinched. "It doesn't matter, something will be done, whether I'm here to see it or not. All that matters is that you are here to see it. Be careful Layette, I can't stand to see you like this because of me."

The Keepers had finished their task and Takeem grabbed Layette's collar and yanked her to her feet. "Have a nice chat?" He glanced between the two Guardians, neither of them saying a word. "Did you fill her in on the last Guardian who tried to fight against us?" Layette stared at the floor and Takeem jerked her head back. Layette nodded once and Takeem released her, dropping her heavily on the ground. "Good girl. Now, are you more willing to talk? Or does little Layette here need to have a go with our pets?"

Layette trembled at his feet and Anita grit her teeth. "Leave her alone and I'll tell you whatever you want to know." Takeem jerked his head and one of the other Guardians carried Layette away.

"It'd be a shame to hurt such a well behaved little girl." Takeem walked around in front of her. "So, let's begin."