15

They drove for a long time, the car jerking back and forth as the driver got frustrated with the snowy weather. Several times they took a wrong turn, followed by a slightly concerning u-turn that couldn't have been legal. Not that it really mattered, the HCU, or "Herect Containment Unit", of the government had almost unquestionable authority. If they truly wanted to they could burn down a city and all they'd get is a stern talking to. A simple car crash wouldn't even warrant a visit.

Regardless, Anita didn't want to deal with that and was thankful when the car finally slowed down, signaling the end of their trip. Upon finally reaching their destination a blindfold was wrapped around her head, the car sliding to a halt a few moments later and she sat in darkness while the Keepers gathered themselves and exited the vehicle.

A pop from her side and fingers were wrapped tightly around her forearm, practically dragging her out of the car. The lack of cold told her that they weren't outside, most likely in a parking garage. She didn't resist and a hand on either side guided her way as they marched into the building.

Anita listened closely as they led the way, making out the sounds of several voices. Wherever they were had a lot of people, and she was confused for a moment that they hadn't returned her to the compound. A pit formed in her stomach, that couldn't be a good sign.

A few more doors were opened and she was pushed into a chair, the blindfold removed as her arms and legs were strapped down. Anita pulled lightly against her bonds, assessing the strength and frowned. There was no way she was breaking out of those. She glanced around quickly, the room was relatively large, an array of instruments to the side that made her skin crawl and, what she guessed were two way mirrors, lined the length of one wall. Humans in white lab coats scurried around on the other side of the glass, like rats dashing back and forth.

She was left alone for a long time, getting dreadfully bored and uncomfortable in her bonds as the minutes dragged on.

"Well this is certainly entertaining," she mused, tapping her fingers against the wooden arm rests. It didn't seem they were in any hurry to deal with her as the time slowly ticked by.

~

Anita didn't remember falling asleep but the slamming of a door jolted her awake. She groaned quietly, stiffness had set into her bones and she blinked rapidly to clear the sleep from her eyes.

"Finally, jeez, must say the customer service in this place," Anita tsked and shook her head, "very disappointing."

The person laughed dryly, dragging a chair over and plopping it on the ground in front of her before leaning on the back of it. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Great. So why am I here? And who are you?" Anita raised her eyebrows, leaning forward as much as she could in her seat.

The man took his time responding, getting up from his seat and pacing around the small space. He fiddled with something at the table. "You broke a lot of laws, Guardian."

Anita shrugged. She couldn't think of anything to say so she said nothing. Eventually he looked up from his work. "How's your back?" he asked and Anita winced, the tight bonds not doing anything to alleviate the pain on her back.

"Fine," she growled and he grinned at her tone.

"That's good," he said. Strolling forward, he grasped her chin and turned her head, examining. "It'd be a shame to waste such a useful Guardian." Anita tensed and jerked out of his grasp. He tsked and returned his hold, forcing her head still. "Is there any corruption left in you?" he asked, tilting her head so he could shine a light in her eyes without losing his grip. She shook her head and blinked rapidly." I'll strap your head down if I have to," he warned.

Anita growled but held herself still as he continued his examination. He returned to the table and brought back what looked like a squirt bottle.

Water sprayed inside her ear and Anita cried out as her magic reacted to push it out, sending pulses of pain through her body.

Her interrogator grimaced at his now wet clothes but nodded to himself. "Magic isn't going to be much help to you for a while."

"So," he said, taking a seat. "Here's how this is gonna play out. You're going to answer my questions, honestly and to the best of your ability, and then you'll be returned to the compounds." He glanced at the table behind him. "In case it wasn't obvious, there are no laws regulating treatment of non- human suspects so I'd suggest you answer and get this over with." He held up a pair of pliers to demonstrate his point. "Alright?"

Anita grit her teeth but nodded. "Okay."