23

The first thing Anita was aware of when she finally woke up was Meriam's hand wrapped around her fingers. She blinked open her eyes and shot up in her seat as she took in her surroundings. Dizziness overcame her and she groaned at the resulting nausea.

"Don't move," Meriam warned, lightly pushing her back onto the bed.

"What happened?" Anita groaned. Her body felt blissfully pain free but she could feel bandages and needles sticking in her skin, and she couldn't move her leg.

"They had to do surgery," Meriam informed her. "The...the things they found...I don't even know how you could stand with the amount of breaks you had. Your leg was set all wrong and they had to re-break it to fix it. And your back..." She swallowed thickly, stammering over her words as she continued, "They had to put you on fluids since you were so malnourished. My god Anita, what did they do to you? They found some kind of venom they didn't recognize and filled you up with painkillers. It was awful."

"Betas," Anita coughed. "They locked me up with a couple of them and I couldn't move." She winced as Meriam tightened her grip. "Ow."

Meriam glanced at their hands and released her. "Sorry."

"It's fine, what happened at the compound?" Meriam opened her mouth then closed it, reconsidering. "What?" Anita demanded.

Meriam glanced away guiltily. "The police took down the Keepers but...not before there were some casualties."

Casualties. More than one. "Who?" she snapped.

Meriam returned her gaze, her eyes full of pity. "Layette took...more than a few shots. They couldn't get her here fast enough she...died in surgery. I'm so sorry Anita."

Layette. "No. No." That couldn't be right, Layette couldn't be...Meriam moved onto the bed, wrapping her arms around her. Anita buried her face in the girl's shoulder and sobbed. "This is all my fault."

"Shh. It's okay." Meriam held her for a long time, muttering "It's okay," over and over again as she sobbed. When she finally calmed a bit Meriam pulled back and brushed the hair from her face. "Anita..." Meriam sunk her teeth into her lip and glanced at her hands. "Did you..." she swallowed and tried again, "Did you know she was pregnant?"

Anita gaped at her, her grief momentarily forgotten. "N-no. She couldn't have..."

"It's a little premature but they managed to save him-" Anita was up before she finished talking, with no regard for her injuries. The machines let out an array of wailing noises as the wires came loose. "Anita!" Meriam scrambled after her as she left the room. "Anita! You're not fit to-"

"Where is he?" she demanded and pressed her hand against the wall, swaying a bit on her feet as nausea assaulted her.

"He's fine! They've got him in an incubator and he's been stabilized. Anita, go lie down!" Meriam ordered, reaching out a hand to lead her back in.

Anita shook her off. "Where is he?"

Meriam sighed. "If I take you to him will you at least sit down?" She gestured at a pair of wheelchairs sitting outside her room and Anita nodded, falling unsteadily into one. Meriam grabbed the handles and pushed her down the halls, much to the dismay of the nurses who insisted she return to her bed.

"It'll just take a minute," Meriam assured them, shooting a sidelong glare at Anita. "Then she'll come right back and rest."

Anita nodded again and the nurse gave up, not bothering to argue with them. They stopped in front of a large viewing room filled with little cribs with tiny squirming bundles inside. Meriam pointed her towards a set of glass cubicles. "He's on the right."

"Oh," Anita breathed. He was so tiny. He was curled into a ball the size of a newborn puppy. His little fists barely the size of her thumb.

"Here." Meriam handed her a slip of paper and Anita immediately recognized the handwriting:

His name is Diaxel. I'm sorry we had to keep it from you but we couldn't risk the Keepers becoming suspicious. You have to know that I never thought something like this could happen. We never would have done it if we'd known, but it's too late now.

You have to keep him safe Anita. He's the first child of two Guardians, they're going to want to test him. Please don't let them. I can't bear the thought of my child being an experiment for the rest of his life. I don't know how many strings your lawyer friend can pull but if there's anything that can be done to protect him, I'm begging you to do it. You're the only one I can count on. But please, when he's older, tell him he was loved.

I know you always thought it was your job to keep us safe, but this isn't your fault. We were all adults and made our own decisions. You did more for us than we could ever repay, but do me another favour and don't blame yourself for our deaths. I'd do it again in a heartbeat for you, and so would Diaxel.

I know you won't be alone. Meriam promised she'd take care of you, give her a chance to be there for you Anita. She's different from them, but you already know that. Don't close yourself off.

I'm sorry I let you down.

With love,

Layette.

Anita choked back another round of sobs and clutched the note to her chest. Of course she would protect him. You never let me down Layette.

Meriam waited patiently while she read it. Crouching down, she laid a hand on her shoulder. Anita stared at her, taking in her concerned expression. "Meriam," she began hesitantly. The girl met her gaze, raising an eyebrow in question. Anita swallowed, considering her words. "If the government finds out that he's the offspring of two Guardians-"

"They already know." Meriam shook her head sadly. "They want to take him once he's old enough. Since his parents are both..." Meriam cut off the thought and started again. "They'll want to make sure he remains viable through his childhood and then conduct...additional experiments."

"Meriam-"

Meriam squeezed her shoulders. "I already told them no. Once he can live without the machines he's going to be transferred into my- our -care. Then we compromised on monthly checkups - to make sure he's not going to suddenly die," she added before Anita could protest. "And then when he's eighteen, he'll have a choice on if he wants to spend some time in the labs, and if he does, he'll be compensated for the time."

"You're amazing," Anita murmured.

Meriam smiled and mussed up her hair. "He'll have a normal childhood. The first step in repairing human-Guardian relationships."

"And what about the rest of the Guardians?" Anita asked, suddenly nervous for what the future would hold.

"They're working on anti-discrimination laws to get Guardians allowed in the workplace. For now, the compounds are being turned into temporary housing while they sort out a better option, and Guardians will all be given a choice to stay on and fight the Herects, on their own terms, or go through a program to be introduced to the rest of the public as normal citizens. Oh and they're going to stop forcibly turning people into Guardians. It's not perfect and it definitely won't be quick but they're trying. They're hoping you'll come and work with me as a sort of...Guardian liaison."

Anita glanced at her in surprise. "Work for you huh?"

Meriam laughed. "In a way. Although I'm sure I can find someone else if you'd rather not."

"I have no problem working for you," Anita mused. "But between that and baby Diaxel, that's a lot of time together." Anita shot her a sideways grin. "Are you sure you can handle that?"

"I think I'll manage."