21

Days went by, each one holding some new interrogation. Until eventually they stopped making sense and Anita guessed that they just wanted some excuse to keep holding her. Anita lost track of how long it went on. There was no way for her to tell time, and the Keepers kept their schedule erratic so she never knew when a new day had started.

The Keepers kept her alive with an IV, a system that left her constantly weak as they toyed with her. Every few visits they'd sick the Betas on her, and she had no way to defend herself.

She had no information about what happened upstairs, the Keepers never said a word about it but she could tell that something was happening that they didn't like. They slowly became more aggravated, and they picked up an irritated hushed tone whenever they did talk.

"Anita, get up." Anita blinked open her eyes, squinting against the light.

"I can't," she croaked, tugging weakly on the chains around her wrists.

Warm hands brushed against her arms and the chains fell away. She tried to focus on the person in front of her but her head was spinning. "Yes, you can. Come on, I'll help you." She recognized the voice but couldn't place it. He tried to pull her up and she stumbled, becoming dead weight in his arms. "Anita! Come on. You can do it. Get up."

Anita shook her head, trying to clear it and refocused on the face in front of her. "Powell?"

"That's me kiddo, come on."

"I really can't. I haven't stood in... I don't know how long." She hated her weakness. It wasn't supposed to be this way.

"I'll carry you then, come on." Powell reached under her legs and hefted her into his arms. "You're really light." His voice was hard as he spoke.

She leaned against his chest, she didn't have the strength to hold her head up. "What are you doing here?"

"Ms. Hayes pushed an inspection, and what they found...wasn't good. We're here to seize control of the compound."

"That was fast," Anita murmured, "I thought you said it would take awhile."

"Anita," Powell paused, "it's been a month."

Anita shot her head up, regretting the action immediately as her head spun. "A month? How?" No wonder she was so weak. A month.

"Anita, how long have you been like this?" Powell continued moving through the compound. She was dimly aware of several officers around them, searching the building and directing other Guardians outside.

"Since..." She was having a hard time forming the words, "Since I got here."

Powell tightened his grip and picked up his pace. "We're gonna get you to a hospital. Just hold on a bit longer okay?"

"Okay," she mumbled, all she wanted to do was sleep.

Cold air brushed against her skin as they stepped outside, bringing her back to reality. Anita lifted her head slightly to look around. Most of the Guardians had gathered outside already and were huddled and whispering in confused groups. The Guardians glanced up when they arrived and slowly spread out of their way, clearing a path straight across the clearing.

"Why are they looking at you like that?" Anita whispered.

Powell shook his head, letting out a slight chuckle. "They're not looking at me, Anita. They're looking at you."

"Why?"

"Think about it Anita. You're the one that made this all possible." Guardians continued to stare at them as they went by, some even dipping their heads.

"I'm not a hero. They killed so many of us because of what I did, they," she swallowed thickly, "they hurt so many. What have I done."

"Shh Anita, that's not your fault. Look at how many of them are going to get a second chance because of you," Powell attempted to soothe her.

Anita could just make out Meriam near the fence. Police officers scurried around her, speaking in low voices. Meriam glanced up at their approach, a slow grin spreading across her face that faded as she took in her condition.

"Put me down," Anita said.

"You can't-"

"Put me down," she repeated. Powell hesitated for a moment but gently put her on the ground. Anita staggered for a second but regained her footing, wincing at the stiffness in her muscles. Meriam bolted to her side, her hands gently probing along her skin. Anita flinched and grabbed her hand. "Don't. Please."

"What did they do to you?" Meriam looked horrified.

"It doesn't matter." Anita took a step back and shook her head. "Don't worry about it."

"Anita..." Meriam scratched the top of her head and glanced back at the police force behind her. She took a moment to gather her thoughts before speaking again. "Who?"

Anita shook her head. "It doesn't matter."

"It does," Meriam insisted, waving her hands at the people surrounding them. "These people can help you. You just have to tell them what you know."

Anita flinched, she didn't want to face another interrogation. "I can't." Her voice cracked and Anita looked away, scratching at her arms.

Meriam's gaze softened and she lowered her hands in surrender. "Okay, it's okay."

"I'm sorry." Anita closed her eyes and shook her head a few times

Meriam stepped forward and wrapped her arms around the Guardian, careful not to put pressure on her wounds. Anita froze for a moment but slowly relaxed, resting her head against Meriam's shoulder. "It's okay. No one is going to hurt you."

Powell cleared his throat. "Anita needs medical treatment and we need to start organizing alternate arrangements for the Guardians, Ms. Hayes."

Meriam nodded and pulled carefully away. "Thank you, Agent. I'll get someone started on that now while I take Anita to the hospital."

"Do you need an escort?" he offered.

"We'll be fine. Thank you. Come on, Anita." Meriam nodded towards the street and Anita followed after her slowly. Her legs screamed in protest of the movement but she wouldn't allow the humans to interfere. Meriam paused to wait for her and Anita tried not to stumble on her way. Meriam frowned and moved behind her, ready to catch her if she fell. She'd almost reached the street, keeping her eyes on the ground.

And walked straight into the protection spell.