~~ THREE ~~

The walls of the tavern had been muffling most of the sounds filtering out, so the minute I opened the door, it was like a tidal wave of noise, all pounding into my eardrums like someone was bashing some drums next to my ears. Even the smell was horrifying: unwashed men, food and different types of liquor all mixed together. 

Startled by how unruly, how disgusting, it all was, I stumbled back out the door, letting it slam shut. I leant against the wall, panting to remove the smell, and my hands tapping my ears to make sure I still had my hearing. 

My heart pounded in my chest as I stepped back to open the door, wincing already for the onslaughter. If I didn't have my fox sense, then I would have been fine; now it was going to be a lot harder to focus. Steeling myself, I stepped back into, standing on the threshold. Unlike fox ears, human ones couldn't flatten to stop loud noises, so I was forced to walk through the mass of sounds, a hand pinching my nose shut to get rid of the smell. 

Some of the patrons stared at me strangely, but I ignored them, a headache already forming as my ears darted from sound to sound. 

"Hi there!" someone said happily. 

I looked down to see a short man before me, juggling some empty cups. His shaggy blonde hair and large green eyes made him look like a child and I guessed that the man before me was the bar's owner. 

"Can I help you with something?" he asked.  

"Maybe," I replied nasally, before removing my fingers

"Maybe," I replied nasally, before removing my fingers. "Are you the owner?" I questioned, even though I already knew the answer. 

"Sure am! Welcome to the Boar Hat," he said with a laugh in his voice, grinning at me. 

"I'm trying to-" A man's raucous laughter drew my attention, before I focused on the owner. All the noise and the smells were getting to me. "I'm trying to find..." I gasped out, my vision swimming, head throbbing. I could feel myself swaying but I couldn't stop myself. 

"Hey." A hand on my arm. "Are you alright?" 

"No. I think I need to sit down," I said shakily, clamping my hands over my ears. Maybe this was a bad idea. 

His hand still on my arm, he dragged me to behind the counter, the patrons following us with their eyes as we passed. He ushered me around to a small door without word and let me in. In the corner was a pig eating scraps.  

"Stay with Hawk for a bit; just until it quietens down a bit. I'll bring you some water and food," he explained, closing the door behind him.

Removing my hands, I noticed how silent it was in the room, besides the pig eating, and it didn't smells so bad in here, like old wood and fresh fruit. I regarded the pig in the corner, wondering about it's name. 

Why is it named Hawk? Wouldn't Hog be better suited? 

"What are you staring at?" it said, looking up at me with food in it's mouth.