Chapter 7

Camila's POV

At the dinner table, everyone was silent. There was nothing to talk about. Well dad was talking to mom, they were leaving me out of it. Being obviously discreet was just dumb. They were so old, so it was okay. They didn't know how to hide anything. They were naturally oblivious.

Instead of trying to figure out what they were talking about, I ate. In the meantime, Lauren came to mind. Remembering the hickey accident made me want to burst out laughing. This was not the best time, or place for that. Unfortunately, I couldn't contain it. A giggle escaped my lips, which made my parents look at me with puzzled expressions.

"What's so funny?" Dad wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"A joke that I was told today," I lied, it was okay though.

"Can we hear it?" Mom looked interested.

"I want to laugh." Dad supported the idea.

Uh-oh, I guess it wasn't okay to lie after all. They got me there, although they I don't think they did it intentionally. Now I had to think of a joke, quick. Either that or I lie again, which seemed like the easiest solution at the moment in time. Lying is what got me here in the first place, eh, another lie wouldn't hurt.

"I don't know how to say the joke," I filled my mouth with food and talked with my mouth full. Mom looked away but dad didn't. He was still waiting for the joke. I was mumbling words out, more like noise. Nothing I was saying, sounded like English, or any other language.

"Camila, you're old enough to know not to talk with your mouth full." Mom stated, still looking the other way.

"I've never seen her do that." Dad stared at me weirdly. "Why have you suddenly forgotten your table manners?" He wondering, really intrigued.

Oh please, I was only joking. They needed to go with the flow and not be so stiff. Where was the fun in being statues? They weren't usually like this, they were probably tired or bored. No wonder they wanted me to tell them a joke. Too bad that it was all a lie.

I needed an energy drink, a monster, or a rockstar. It's been awhile since I've had one. Nine days to be exact. My parents hated the idea of me drinking them, but I was old enough to make my own decisions... on what I wanted to drink that was. According to them, too many rockstars and monsters, were going to cause me to have a heart attack. Eh, oh well.  

Scary how this had been the longest I have ever gone without an energy drink. I was impressed, I actually lasted. This past week had been the most stressful, which is why I found it hard to believe I lasted this long.

Dad was waiting for me to swallow my food.

I took a drink of my water, "I haven't." I answered when my mouth was clear of food.

"Well are you going to tell us the joke or not?" Dad insisted on the subject. Mom turned back to look at us, and then continued eating, staying tuned for the joke.

I grabbed my fork and twirled it around in the pasta. "I already told you that I don't exactly know the joke." I restated. "I only remembered a piece of it, which wouldn't make sense without the rest of it." I added in order to make it sound more believable.

Dad and mom exchanged a look and shrugged.

"Okay then," Mom said effortless. I could hear her fork crashing on her plate, as she tried getting the last of her pasta. Wow, her plate was practically wiped clean. She ate really fast. Dad did too while I still had quite a bit left. Strange since they were the ones talking, that sure didn't affect their appetite.