Flash Forward 10 Years

The following is just a small glimpse into the lives of the Deathless ten years after the end of the trilogy.

Esther, Henry, and Tempest run on the playground outside the school in Hicksmon, though thirteen-year-olds Esther and Tempest are really just looking over ten-year-old Henry. They are almost too old to play now, so Isla Blume doesn't interfere in their game of tag, even though that's why she took Toben outside with her: to call the kids in for dinner.

Tempest is staying with Isla and Daniel this winter, since her parents Ava and Ian worried it would be too cold in Russia this year for her to join them for their newest community rebuild. Esther, of course, was happy to have her cousin with her, even if she still doesn't know how they're related. She grew up assuming they were cousins the same way Aunt Isla and Celia Guzman are sisters. The term family means something different in Hicksmon than it does in the dictionary. That's how home works.

While Isla Blume bounces her six-month-old son in her arms, she watches Tempest and Esther tire from running after Isla's brother Henry. "Henry, stop. You won, okay? You won," Esther pants.

Henry laughs in victory as Tempest wraps her arm around his shoulders. "Way to go, Henry," she says.

"Thank you, thank you."

Henry looks up and sees Isla watching over them from the front yard of her and Daniel's home. It was built especially for them as a first year anniversary present from the community. Huge tiger lilies bursting from the ground are painted all around their home and a bright orange door welcomes all who enter. It's a funny and conspicuous house, but Isla and Daniel don't mind. People come to their home often, whether for Daniel's guidance or Isla's stories, and always seem to leave as bright and cheerful as the door. Especially now that Toben is there to play with.

Toben has his father's warm skin and his mother's bright green eyes. From what anyone can tell, he will be just as brilliant as his parents, if not more so.

Henry waves to his sister. "Is it time for dinner?" he calls.

Isla simply nods, not wanting to yell to the kids with Toben so close, and she gestures for them to come inside, where it's warm. With the sun setting, the shadows of evening cool the autumn air. Isla shivers, clutching Toben close to her.

"Are they coming?" Daniel asks from the open doorway.

Isla turns back, smiles, and nods. "They're on their way now."

Daniel smiles, pushes his glasses up, and opens his arms to take Toben. As soon as Isla passes the boy to his father, Daniel lifts Toben into the air, causing the boy to squeal with happiness.

Henry, Esther, and Tempest run past Isla, and for a moment--just a split second--Esther looks so much like Nate, with her crooked smile and her rich brown eyes, that Isla's heart flutters with momentary shock. She loves Esther, but every now and then, Isla swears she sees Nate living through her and it gives her the chills, as if she's seen a ghost.

Isla is left alone outside, the orange door open behind her. She crosses her arms and looks around with a long breath. The town she and the Deathless created in the very place where her ancestors survived the blast has finally become everything she always hoped it would be: a developed, knowledge-centric haven for survivors. Thirteen years later, Hicksmon is nearly perfect.

The old cornfield is a community park and garden that she and Declan Kunkle created. The government building where Beatrice Blume works is getting an extension in the spring for the new congressional chamber. Just in time for the fifth annual World Alliance conference.

"Isla, honey?"

She turns back to find her mother Beatrice leaning in the door frame.

"We're waiting for you," Beatrice says, tilting her head down with a kind smile.