1.17. The Immersion Program

Mom wakes me up late the next morning, just in time to grab a quick meal before our first virtual training.

"You don't have to kill the President, you know. I remember what happened with the rabbit, and I know how you feel about killing." She pauses. "I'm worried about this plan. I don't like it, but they're not going to change it unless you make them. You stand up for other people all the time, Isla. You're allowed to stand up for yourself every now and then too."

"It's okay," I tell her. I need to go to the bunker to find Daniel and our family. This is the only way. "I want to do it."

She gives me a concerned look. "Please don't lie to yourself. No amount of regret can undo killing," she says. "Are you sure you want to do this? I can go to the bunker alone. I'll make sure to find Daniel and your dad and Eleanor and Ben. You don't have to go."

I remember what Dad told me after I shot the rabbit. One day you will have to kill something, and if you're too weak to go through with it, you'll die.

I shake my head. I do have to go. I have to prove that I can be strong, even if I'm just proving it to myself. "I'm going. Like Phoebe said, I'm the best one for the job."

***

The nine of us who will be leading the Deathless into the bunker reconvene in the mechanics sector's tech lab, where Declan is waiting to hook all of us into Mitchell's computer program. It's the first time I've seen where Mom works, and I feel a little guilty for not visiting her earlier. Their lab is much different than the biology lab, and reflects Phoebe's personality perfectly: no nonsense, straight to the point, and cold.

A young intern boy with tan skin greets us as we enter the lab, handing us all a cup of water before we begin. Declan sits in front of a large control panel at the center of the tech lab room, which branches off from the main lab, much like Dr. Patel and Nate's lab does in ours. This room is a little more colorful, with red, green, and blue writing—computer codes probably—scribbled on whiteboards plastered to the walls.

Bags underline Declan's eyes. He's been up all night, probably trying to learn all the nuances of Mitchell's program and deal with what happened to Misty, and I thank him on my way into the room. It makes me sad that no one else does, especially since Declan isn't a computer guy, and is probably a nervous wreck beneath his exhausted exterior. He cocks his head and says, "Sure," like it's a question.

Around him is a circle of nine seats, each of which is connected to its own computer. I can only assume they are all connected to Declan's control panel, because he presses a button in front of him and all the monitors turn on.

"It's like we're in The Matrix," Phoebe jokes, and everyone who was frozen in the bunker giggles.

"What's The Matrix?" I ask.

"Oh you wouldn't get it. It was a popular movie before the world ended."

I look around the room at the scientists' faces, smiling as they recall memories of a time before war and frost, and they look at me like I've missed out on some great joke, including Nate, who immediately shifts to a serious expression when our eyes meet.

"Alright everyone," Mitchell says from the center of the room, and we all move silently around him. "With Dr. Kunkle's help, we will all be plugged into the program. At first, it will appear to be a blank interface, but once everyone has been added, the scenery will fill itself in. We will begin in the town just outside of where the bunker is, but Dr. Clark, Dr. Fowler, and Dr. Ovis have requested that we also run through the layout of the bunker. This will include the President's quarters so that Isla can learn how to get to him," Mitchell explains, and my stomach turns.