Chapter 13

"Dang, how many clothes do you actually wear in a week?" Trish complains again as she helps me drag my bag of laundry over to the curb where I sit waiting for my parents to pick me up in a few minutes. I roll my suitcase over to make room for the laundry bag and once she drags it to its spot, she plops down on top of her duffel bag to catch her breath.

"I could ask you the same thing," I say nodding at her laundry bag which is probably more full than mine is. "I'm surprised Mitch helped you get it down here."

"I feel like I died a little," Mitch calls from where he and Jace are packing his bags into the trunk of his van.

"You still have to help me load the bags into my car remember?" she replies. Mitch sighs and leans against his van in defeat.

"So, when will your parents be here?" Trish asks.

"They said they'd be here in an hour," I reply taking out my phone to check the time. "Then again, they might not have thought about traffic."

"Remind me again why you didn't want to have your car here?" she asks looking at me like I'm at fault. I spit my tongue out at her and she mirrors me.

"I told you," I start. "I didn't want to have to worry about it since I'm already paying for enough without having to worry about gas. That and my parents don't want me to get a job until my first semester is over so I can focus on schoolwork."

"That's nice of them and your grandparents to send you an allowance every month," Mitch says coming to grab Trish's laundry bag to haul into her car. "I wish my folks were that nice."

"Didn't you say you had enough in your college fund?" Trish asks looking up at him. "And you have a job at the campus bookstore."

"That's not the point," he says. He tugs the bag over to Trish's car and opens the trunk, hauls the bag up and stuffs it in as far as it will go. Trish doesn't bother standing to help him as she plays on her phone and relaxes on her spot on the duffel bag.   

"I think we got everything," Jace says as he closes the trunk of Mitch's van. "All your crap is in and my car is packed up too."

"Hey, my crap is important to me," Mitch replies tugging on the duffel bag that Trish sits on so she can release it from under her. She jumps up and he drags the bag over to her car and stuff it in on top of the laundry bag as best he can. "Trish, can you please get a real car? Not this stupidly small Coop?"

"Hey, that was a gift from my parents," she says defensively. "Besides, she just doesn't like you."

"Your car doesn't like me?" he asks confused. "It's a piece of metal."

"To you she is, but to me, she's a reliable mode of transportation and we shop together."

"And you say I'm strange," Mitch says shaking his head at her. I laugh at their banter and feel my phone buzzing in my lap. I check the message that comes in from my dad : Dad: Having car trouble. Not sure if we'll get it running in time to pick you up.

I text him back trying to sound too worried about it: Audry: Take your time. I can always call a cab :)

I know how my dad feels about cabs, especially since he's convinced that I'm either going to be kidnapped or murdered the moment I get inside of one. I'm convinced that he's been watching way too many crime and murder shows but I don't think he sees it for himself.

"Good or bad news?" Trish says glancing at my phone.

"Oh, it's nothing," I shake my head. "My parents are just going to be a little longer than expected."