Chapter 10: Do Forget This

She held that thought when her cellphone suddenly beeped. She took it out of her pocket and there was a message from Clifford just received. Aimee opened the message, it read:

Aimee, I'm running late at work today. If you can, get a lift from a friend or walk. I'll only be home by four so if you prefer to wait at school that's okay too. Let me know your plan. - Dad.

"Ha, 'Dad'," she chortled and managed to type a reply: Thanks for letting me know, Dad ;). I'll walk home... See you at 4! - Daughter (^-^).

She hit the 'send' button and put her phone away in her pocket. The walk home from school was quite the distance. Aimee could think of one place that was closer; the hospital. A smirk crossed Aimee's face. She wanted to check-up on Stefan, but first she thought she'd get him something. She never noticed it before, but there was a florist across the street from the school. Aimee looked left and right and trotted across the road. She approached the door of the florist and walked inside. An assistant walked up to her with a smile on his face and asked her if she was looking for anything in particular. Aimee knew nothing about flowers except that they looked pretty and if you get too close there was a slight chance you would get stung by a bee. She did not know what to say.

"Do you have something that says 'get well soon'," she queried.

"Who is this for exactly?" he wondered.

"A friend of mine, he's in hospital right now and I'm visiting him from here," she explained.

"Oh, sorry to hear that," he bit his lip.

"Oh, no, he'll be alright," she stammered. "I mean... thank you."

The assistant smiled. He took her towards bouquets of white lilies and told her that they were her best bet. He showed her the price tag. $7.00, she paid up. Aimee walked out of the store with a bunch of beautiful lilies and without her week's allowance, but it was for Stefan. She memorized the directions to the hospital and jogged her way there. It took her just under ten minutes to actually arrive, but she was glad when she did. She asked the secretary if Stefan Summers was still in and she checked her files. Aimee's nurse walked by and remembered her from the day before. She told the secretary that she would take her to Stefan's room.

When the two got to Stefan's door, the nurse closed the door behind Aimee and waited outside. Stefan was wide awake. He noticed Aimee walk in and smiled immediately.

"Aimee, hey," he greeted. "You look cute."

Aimee blushed as she neared his bed.

"Thanks," she situated the flowers in an empty vase on the side end table. "How are you doing?" she sat down beside him.

"Great actually," he grinned. "I'm glad to see you."

Aimee laughed and held his right hand with her left as it rested on his chest. Just then, Stefan's nurse walked through the door with his medications. Aimee needed to leave, but Stefan gripped her wrist, begging her to stay. He did not want to be alone again. She sat down slowly and he let go.

"I'm sorry, I just want you to stay for a little while longer, please?" he begged.

Aimee glimpsed at the nurse who was staring at the two instead of focusing on the syrup she was pouring. Aimee hesitated with her answer, but finally nodded. Stefan smiled, but it soon disappeared. The nurse held the spoon in her hand and carried it to Stefan's mouth. Aimee hurriedly interrupted and asked if she could serve his medicine. It was no problem; she took the spoon and fed it to him. He could smell the bitter scent of the medicine, but he did not want to act like a baby around Aim, so he gulped the syrup down promptly. He coughed a few times and asked the nurse for water. Aimee ogled him and burst into laughter. She did apologise, but he looked so weird, with that "sour lemon" expression on his face.

The nurse rushed out to get a glass of water, but by the time she left the room he did not need it anymore. The medicine made him feel woozy and dizzy, a little crazy too. Aimee eyeballed him, he was talking absolute nonsense! Stefan was mumbling strange words like "kitties and raindrops are pretty." Aimee began to worry. As soon as the nurse returned with his water, she asked what was wrong.

"That's just the medicine, it makes him sleepy so that he does not feel the pain," she placed the glass of water next to the vase of lilies.

"The pain?" Aimee repeated in uneasiness.

The nurse nodded. "Stefan does not know, but every afternoon the surgeon comes in to take a look at his leg and make sure that he will be okay," she answered.

"You mean you don't know if his leg is alright yet?" established Aimee.

"All examinations have been positive and he should be back at school by Thursday and without crutches in a month. He just needs to be patient," she said.

"A month?" she quizzed. "What happened to "five days"?"

"I need to call his surgeon now,"

The nurse left the room speedily. Aimee tried to make conversation with Stefan, but he was too absentminded and crazy-headed. He became wearier and fell deeper into slumber each second. Looney, if I kiss him now, will he remember? Aimee thought to herself. She leaned in when his eyelids met.

"Wait, what am I doing?" she asked herself, withdrawing herself. She stared at him a while longer. "Oh, but he just looks so kissable," she mumbled.

She made up her mind. It would all be blur to him when he wakes up, right? Aimee leaned in once again, just a peck. He was sound asleep, but it felt like he kissed her back. Aimee got up quickly and left the room. The surgeon passed her in the hallway and waved hello. She greeted him and headed home.