Chapter 15: The Truth

Stefan was shaking in his shoes, almost sweating. He could only imagine how Aimee would feel if she found out. Found out that her parents, whom she thought had died long ago, were not dead. That they are adversaries to the country she had always known as home. They are supposed to be dead, but they are the entrepreneurs of a secret organisation.

Ding.

"Darn it," Stefan mumbled.

How would he tell her now? All he could do was hope that Aimee would be as forgiving as she has been. The guards walked them into a huge office with a bedroom on its right and a kitchen, dining room, and lounge area on its left. The large, glass windows running along every wall enhanced the grandness of the penthouse. The lack of people too, no one was there. Stefan was almost relieved by that.

The guards did a body search on the two for weapons and gadgets. Their belts had climbing equipment and Stefan had a grappling hook, until the guards confiscated them. The guard on his left arm tugged at his crutches, for a while he refused to hand them over. He was actually a lot stronger than the guard, but it was smarter not to make any sudden movements. He let go and the bodyguard had both crutches in one hand, his other hand on Stefan's back as he pushed him onto the ground.

"Stefan!" cried Aimee. "You jerk!" she shouted in French at the guard.

He clenched his fists and threatened her. He was in the position to thrust at her. Aimee crossed her arms up in her face, in defence from the incoming attack; – even though she had guards holding her arms – but it never came. When she opened her eyes again, Stefan was standing in the way, on one leg. She half smiled with a sparkle in her eye.

"Leave... her... alone," his tone so harsh, even he was surprised, but he kept a straight face.

Aimee would be stunned if the guard was not scared. She pulled herself free expecting the guards to knock her down as well or scold in French again, but they let her go. The guards stepped into the elevator, all except the one in Stefan's personal bubble.

"Stefan, I'm okay," Aimee held his arm. "You!" – She exclaimed at the man – "Give me those."

She towed Stefan's crutches back with bravado. She assisted him in positioning and adjusting his crutches correctly. He felt fine without them, but Aimee did not. It was hard for her to look at him with crutches on his arms, but it had become even harder to look at him balancing on one leg, without them.

"Are you okay?" she had to make sure.

"Of course," he smirked.

There was a pause in their activity. The guard returned to the second floor as Aimee and Stefan shared a quixotic gaze, but shortly after, Stefan came to realisation of where they were and what he had to do. He had one last chance. Stefan dropped his crutches and squeezed Aimee in his arms.

"I need to tell you something," he slowly pulled away.

She was bemused, baffled with his sequel of actions. Still, she was smiling. "What was that for?"

"Hopefully, you can forgive me," he bit his lips.

Aimee's eyebrows rose; he appeared as though he were about to cry.

"I already do," she said reassuringly, though she was unsure herself.

Stefan wanted to let her receive it slowly, he wanted to make it easier to the ears, but he had already missed so many chances. He had to just get it out this time. He became serious, he pulled his face straight, and he took a deep breath. Aimee nervously waited.

"Your parents are alive, Aimee," it was finally said, "your real parents."

"What? At enemy headquarters?" a somewhat enlightened look on her face. "Are we here to save them?" she was hoping...

The elevator was coming up to their floor.

"Aimee, they are the enemies," he sighed.

Aimee'ssmile instantly faded and there was silence once again. Stefan did not expecther to say anything, how could he? She had nothing to say. Aimee could notbelieve it, she did not believe it, but her proof was only seconds from her.