CHAPTER II: Cara

I dislike mornings. I definitely dislike mornings. I'm sure I hated this morning more.

That girl with glasses, whom I thought was cute when I entered the shop, was undeniably insensitive. This is LA, for pete's sake. Every shop is expectedly filled with celebrities and fans. And it was disheartening to know that she's not into those things. Maybe she was a frustrated actress, who am I to judge anyway?

I admit I was a little harsh on her. And I knew it really was my fault in the first place why the girls screamed. But this is who I am. I'm not nice to people who doesn't deserve my nice self.

As I left the shop, my phone buzzed from my pocket. I hesitated for a moment then deliberately took it out.

Annie was calling. I moistened my lips and breathed nervously. Then I turned my phone off.

My mind was reeling at the moment. How could Annie expect me to still talk to her after all she've done?

I quickly got inside my car and put the key into the ignition.

Annie's dating someone else now. Why couldn't she just focus on her and let me move on?

I punched the steering wheel, which shocked a lot of passersby. As I kicked the pedal to drive forward, someone knocked on the window, causing me to jump.

"Shit!" I said out loud.

It was the nerdy cute girl from the coffee shop. I slowly rolled the windows down.

"I..." she stammered. She had nice round black eyes and very deep dimples even when she's not smiling that much. She also looks gorgeous.

"What now?" I scoffed.

Then she coughed and talked. Wait, not talked. She was actually rapping.

"Itwasn'tmewhoshushedyouearlieritwasthatoldwomansittingbesidemeIcouldn'tpointherouttoyoubecauseshewasthereandIhateawkwardinteractionswitholdpeoplesoI'msorry," she rapped.

I glared at her with my jaw dropped. All I caught was the word sorry. But I wasn't in the mood to chat.

"Look," I said as I began to rev the engine. "I'd forgive you if you won't start stalking me now. So. ."

But the girl just stood there, speechless.

"Look, I'm kind of busy, so, it was soooo nice talking to you twice," I said scornfully.

Then I rolled the windows up and drove on. No wonder she was on the news.

I went to have brunch with Kendall and Taylor at a nearby restaurant just five blocks away.

"You seem to be having a tough day today," Taylor said, giving me her piece of bacon because she knows how much I love bacon.

I sighed and ate it regardlessly.

"So it's Annie, again, huh?" Kendall asked.

I nodded glumly. "I think I have 5 calls from her today."

Kendall shook her head in disbelief as she chewed on the salad she ordered.

"I just don't believe Annie. She pushed you away, dated someone else to hurt you and now she wants you back. I have never known anyone so indecisive before until her."

"Annie doesn't deserve you, Car," Taylor remarked. "I know better than to give someone any second chance."

"Why don't you believe in second chances, anyway?" Kendall asked Taylor, unexpectedly changing the topic.

"Well," Taylor gulped her food and began talking. "Why would you give someone a second chance when he/she doesn't deserve it?"

"What if for a logical reason?" Kendall continued to interrogate.

"What could be logical with cheating?" Taylor answered. "Wouldn't it be awkward trying to work it out again? Like,... won't you worry, if, for example, you took him back, that he'd do the same thing he did back then? Look at the time you'll be wasting with the wrong person."

"What if other than cheating?" I suddenly interrupted.

"What?" Taylor asked.

"You know," I continued. " Like, with Annie and I's case. We broke up because of work and time apart. Although it wasn't a mutual decision but I wasn't there for her when she needed me."

Taylor squeezed my hand for comfort. "Oh, Car, believe me, if Annie wanted you back like you thought she would, she'd have chosen you instead of Kristen."

I raised my eyebrows, realizing what she told me.

"Anyway," I began. "We shouldn't be talking about her." Then I devoured the bacon sandwich before me.

"You're right," Kendall said. Then she almost screamed, "I'm having a party tonight! Everyone close is invited.... I might show you a couple of friends I know that you might like."

I broke into a laughter. Taylor and Kendall did too.

"Oh, don't bother, Ken," I said as I swallowed another piece of bacon.

After we finished our brunch, which lasted for about three hours, we bid farewell to each other and went on our separate ways.

It was already one in the afternoon and I just remembered I had to meet a friend at 1:30pm. So I quickly drove to my next destination.

As I arrived at the building, the lobby personnel led me to the floor where this friend of mine resides. Then, I was left alone when I got out the elevator. The floor was quite spacious with a lot of rooms. 

I remembered the lobbyist telling me to turn left and I'd be at my friend's office in a jiffy.

As I was about to turn, I bumped into someone and something hot and painful shot all throughout my body, sending me screaming and jumping. I looked at my shirt under my jacket and from the color and stench of the stain, I could tell it was coffee.

"I'm really, really, really sorry," I heard someone say. Her voice sounded so familiar.

I looked up and saw the girl from the coffee shop before.

"It's you again??!!!" I cried out.

"I'm really sorry, Cara, I didn't mean to. . " she said as she tried to wipe my shirt with her handkerchief.

I jerked her hand away because I didn't want to ruin her handkerchief too. "Why are you following me? I told you no stalking or I'd totally report you."

"I'm not stalking you," she answered back, almost shouting. It made me even madder.

"Fuck," I cursed at myself, ignoring her as I tried to wipe away the stain with my jacket.

"What's the fuss all about?" A male voice echoed across the corridor. "Cara?"

"Oh, it's you, James, sorry I came in ANNOUNCED," I smugly said.

"Ohhhh," was all James could mutter as he saw the coffee stain and the girl holding an empty cup in front of me.

"I see you've met Sam."

"You know her??!" I asked in surprise. I looked at Sam and I just noticed her eyes were a bit watery or I thought so. And she looked panicked and anxious. And as much as I disliked her attitude, I also hated myself for making her feel this way.

"Yes, umm, come inside, come inside, Cara, let's have a leisurely chat, and before that, I might just lend you some clothes, huh?" James offered as he gestured into his office.

I walked slowly towards the door and I was a bit hesitant. Then I looked back at Sam and she wasn't there anymore.

(Note to Cara's fans: I know Cara doesn't drive but I couldn't make the fanfic work without having someone who knows how to drive. Hahaha. Anyway, this is just a fanfic so I could make anything up. Also, Cara hinted once in an interview that she had driven before (illegally). Have fun and continue reading.)