CHAPTER VIII: Cara

"You slept the entire time!" Kendall said through the speakers of my phone.

I groaned like a child, wriggling on my bed. Still lying, I threw my blanket all over me, thinking of having a nap later after the call.

"I can't believe myself. I missed all the fun," I answered, staring at the periwinkle blue ceiling before me. My favorite color.

"Fun? I think you might have spelled it wrong. Wait, is it S-A-M?" Then Kendall chuckled from the other line.

"Shut up," I said back, rolling on the bed with the help of my elbows. I looked at the wall clock, 3:15pm.

"You were so wasted. You can't surely blame yourself," Kendall said. I heard clunking of utensils in the background. Maybe, she was having a late lunch or an early dinner.

"Plus, you're also a sore loser at Beer Pong."

I shook my head and laughed.

"I have to leave. You know how Mom hates it when I'm on my phone while eating a meal," Kendall said.

"I heard that," echoed Kris' voice in the background.

Kendall laughed then the call went off. 

I burrowed my head in my pillow. Then, I sighed. Sam.

I had this indescribable feeling inside of me. Like I missed her or something. But why? Am I infatuated?

My phone suddenly buzzed again. I had my hopes up that it was Sam. But unfortunately, it was Annie. How stupid can I be? Sam doesn't even have my number. And I don't have hers.

I smirked and turned my phone off. I did the most noble thing to do at the moment - I blocked Annie's number. I wasn't really sure if I have already moved on or maybe I was just too scared to face her or mad she left me for someone else. I shook my head as I lied on the bed.

Number. I don't have Sam's number. What if we'll never see each other again? I could ask James for her number. But that would be too obvious and desperate.

Then I remembered the script. The film. I made a run towards my bag and grabbed the folded script inside. No number. Then I realized that Sam has no idea that I was invited to play the protagonist in her story. Or maybe James has already told her.

With nothing else better to do, I began to continue reading the script.

It was almost 5pm when I finished reading. Tears were literally in my eyes. The girl in the story didn't commit suicide in the end. Instead, she helped a person who was dying from cancer do the things she loves for the first time. She fell in love with her but she died anyway, leaving the protagonist heartbroken. The dying person felt being truly loved for the first time. And the main character loved someone for the last time.

I sniffled as I stared at the ceiling and wondered what was going on inside Sam's head in order for her to come up with this kind of story. It was amazing. I immediately sent a message to James that I would gladly do the film. When he asked me what made me change my mind, I told him about the realization the protagonist in the story had when she decided not to kill herself anymore.

I looked outside the window and the busy streets of LA danced before me. I went to grab some cereals in the fridge and browsed through the internet. Then, I suddenly realized, hey, I could stalk Samantha on the internet. Know more about her.

I logged into my Instagram account and searched for Samantha Williams. And there she was, a camera held in front of her face as her icon. I smiled uncontrollably as I went into her page. I got a bit overwhelmed in a good way and slightly intimidated.

Writer/Photo enthusiast by day, Vocalist of The Quirks by night, and introverted geek all the time, her description said.

Vocalist? The Quirks? I had no idea that she was in a band. But then again, she continues to surprise me.

I scanned through her photos. They were actually good. Like taken by a professional. There were no pictures of her on her page. There were all wonderful landscapes and beautiful places she'd been to and people in the streets doing random stuff. And each of them seemed to display the emotion intended.

Her recent picture was just posted yesterday. I know this park, I thought. She took a picture of two doves hovering over the manmade lake in the park. There were also two persons in the frame, who looked like a couple, sitting on the bench.

I clicked the follow button nervously. After a minute or two, a message popped into my inbox. I get messages from fans all the time. But her name shone before me and everything else seemed to appear blurry.

Now who's stalking? Her message said.

I chortled a bit too loud. If someone was with me in my apartment right now, he/she must have thought I've gone mad.

I sent her a wink emoji. And typed Cool photos. Follow me back, my dear.

Then she replied. Already followed you ages ago. I can't remember. Then a wink emoji.

I couldn't contain my happiness. Even though I didn't have her number, I could contact Sam through this app.

I went back to her page and looked through the photos tagged to her. And there she was, her beautiful smile emanating from each picture. So she does short films, too. There were also photos of her and the band. It was really intimidating. I saw the picture of the guy she was with earlier and he seemed to be an active follower of Sam, having the most tagged photos. His name was Gary. I haven't got the chance to know his name or even know him and his relationship with Sam, not that I wanted to.

I stumbled myself upon two videos she was tagged a week ago. She was on a stage with a couple of others. Her hair was tied in a bun with strands draping on each side of her ear. She was sitting before a piano and her voice was of an angel's.

I wrote this song just yesterday, Sam said to the crowd, smiling from ear to ear. So please be nice to me.

The crowd cheered and clapped softly and then, she went to play the piano. Another guy was playing the acoustic guitar behind her.

We take a chance from time to time
And put our next out on the line
And you have broken every promise that we made
And I have loved you anyway

I stared at her and listened intently to the song. She looked heartbroken. Did she break up with someone recently? The song seemed to say it all.

Took a fine time to leave me hanging out to try
Understand now I'm grieving so don't you waste my time
Cause you have taken all the wind out from my sense
And I have loved you just the same

I thought about Annie and what Sam was singing at the moment was exactly what I felt after the breakup.

The first video was finished. So I played the second one.

Sam's piano solo was breathtaking. Her fingers knew which keys they were supposed to be at without her looking at the instrument. She was a pro. It was only until then that I noticed a tear on her cheeks. It glistened against the spotlight. I didn't know if the people around noticed it but, right now, I could see her crying and I felt so gutted, like I wanted to wipe it away from her face.

And you have broken every single fucking rule
And I have loved you like a fool

And the video ended. I looked absentmindedly before me. I shouldn't be feeling this way. It seemed like Sam and I were experiencing the same thing. She was heartbroken. I was too.

But what if she hasn't moved on yet. I wasn't sure. But why would I care anyway? And it was just a song.

Then the page updated and I saw a new photo tagged to her by none other else than Gary, it says Performance by The Quirks at 8pm Seaside Bar. The caption says we're finally playing. And there was a fresh comment from Elizabeth saying you can do it guys.

I immediately sent a message to the squad saying, "I know where to party tonight."

I didn't know what went into me but I made a run towards the bathroom.

(Song credits - Like A Fool by Keira Knightley)