CHAPTER XXII: Samantha

"Did you guys happen to see Cara?" Kendall asked, barging inside our dressing room, where most of us were drinking free champagne. Taylor was sweating behind her, probably had just finished her performance. Their faces appeared all worried.

We all shook our heads no. Then Elizabeth muttered something about seeing Cara backstage with Rooney about an hour ago.

Something triggered inside of me to think that Cara and Rooney met and talked. And that could be a pretty upsetting and awkward thing.

"Have you tried calling her phone?" I asked as I went toward them, away from the noise blaring from the speakers in the room. Whole Heart by Griffin was playing.

"We did," Taylor answered. "She wouldn't answer it."

I went to try mine and dialed Cara's number.

Dial tone. Nothing. It went to a voice mail. I tried again. Then she answered.

"Cara?" I asked. The people in the room were all looking at me.

When I didn't hear any response, I went on. "Hello? Cara? Where are you?"

"Samantha? Is this you?" I heard a familiar guy's voice. Oliver's.

"Oliver?" I asked, bewildered.

"Cara's at Oliver's bar?" I heard Gary exclaimed behind me.

"What are you doing with Cara's phone? Where is she?"

"You need to get here fast. This girl you call Cara is insisting to still drive. She's drunk as hell," Oliver hurriedly said.

Then I could hear Cara's drunk voice slur from the other line. "I'm completely sober, guys! Let me go home. And give me back my phone."

I panicked. I was worried. I cared for Cara even if she didn't care for me.

We must have left the place like in a flash and headed to Oliver's bar.

When we arrived, Cara was sleeping on the counter, with her head placed on her arms.

Oliver was glaring at us, motioning to keep it nice and easy. There were still an inordinate number of people inside the place. And good thing was that they didn't notice we were there with Taylor, Kendall and a drunk Cara.

"Hey, Cara," Kendall murmured as she patted Cara's back. "Let's get you home."

Cara woke up from her slumber. And even when drunk and lost, she still looked like a million bucks.

"Kendall!" Cara screamed ecstatically. "You're here!"

Then she went to hug Kendall as she let her pull her to stand.

Cara went to look at others who were also there. Then her blue eyes landed on me.

"Sam?" Cara asked. Then her happy face slowly turned into a sad one. And I had no idea why.

Cara was silent on the drive heading to her apartment. Gary, Cara and I were in Taylor's car while Kendall and others used Cara's car.

Cara didn't talk or even look at me even when she acted drunk toward Taylor and others.

When we arrived at her apartment, Cara was insisting to go back and drink. When Kendall didn't allow her, she went to get the drinks she had in her kitchen. They went to stop her and lead her into her bedroom to sleep.

"She's still pretty persistent and very much awake," Taylor said as she went out from Cara's room. She and Kendall were trying to calm Cara down inside. And Cara wouldn't even talk to me, so I wasn't of any help.