25- The Final Show Down.

Saturday morning, the weather was as dreadful as my state. The clouds shielded the sun and instead rain poured relentlessly. It made the house dark and gloomy, which didn't help me get out of bed at all. Not because I was sleepy, I hadn't so much as blinked since getting the meeting with Valak. I'd mostly been thinking. Thinking, thinking, thinking. It's as though my brain spent the entire night updating its software. I felt so bitter and silly for letting this fake life get in the way of my mission but more than anything I felt guilt. I was no stranger, but I could never get used to it. The feeling of everything wrong being your fault.

I was taught to do my job and do it well. Nothing else. But an entire chain of events had hurled me into a state of mental disarray that I found myself wondering if I ever did my job well at all. Did Valak ever believe I was good enough to do this mission or she'd just pitied me? Pitied the fact that I was suffering from nightmares no psychiatrist could treat, no pill could heal. She'd given me what she thought would be the easiest mission and I'd completely totalled it. In the process I'd not only ruined the whole mission, Trent was going to get in trouble for being an accomplice and that was probably my biggest regret.

My ears perked up at the sound of his door swinging open. He padded across the hall into the kitchen and began rummaging around for something to eat most likely. I decided to get up and catch him before he returned to his room. It would make it less awkward talking to him in the common area than approaching him in his space.

"Morning," I greeted.

"Hey," he replied gruffly. His hair was a tousled mess, skin bare from being shirtless but thank the lords he had his pants on, which was a problem I'd been wrestling him about since we started living together.

"Listen I-" I was hoping he'd stop me before having to go much further, snap at me and stomp on off to his room, but he just stood there. A bottle of his favourite protein shake in his hand. I knew what I wanted to say I just didn't know how to say it and his silence made it almost intimidating. All this expressing crap was overwhelming; but with every second that built up I summoned up the courage to blurt it out.

"About last night... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I blew our cover and didn't tell you about it, I'm sorry you're going to get in trouble because of me, I'm sorry I'm such a hard partner to deal with, I make all these... irrational decisions sometimes and I-" He didn't dare cut in like he usually did.

"I didn't realise how big a deal it was all going to be, I'm sorry alright?"

His expression softened as he sighed and shook his head slowly. "You're a wild one to deal with, ancient. I might get sent back to working in the office because of you."

"I know. I'll do my best to make it up to you."

"Make it up to yourself. All this high school nonsense is over. We've had too much fun, now it's time to finish this."