Chapter6: Storm

The bell rung at 2:30 signalling the end of class. Though today had been a great day, I was itching to get out of here and do the thing that I loved the most: being surrounded by books. I've actually been working at the towns antique book shop up stairs a two story building with a  enviously beautiful view of the towns park and garden with a coffee and pastry shop downstairs  and a gift store adjacent. I have never been inside either but from the smell that often drifted from the pastry shop it was definitely  worth visiting. I was lucky enough to find employment as a newbie to the area but my Dad was well known especially since he ran the local school. I walk to my locker to put away my books, only taking those I'll be using for the night. School was dismissed and everybody was itching to go home. The hall was crowded and abuzz with conversation. I hadn't spotted ....Then I realised I didn't even know his name. The only friend if you could call it that, that I'd made I wasn't even kind enough to ask his name. Mom would be disappointed, she always lectured me on being polite and a nice young lady etc but I supposed she had her own reasons. She had hoped I would marry rich to one of her many friends pampered and  pompous  sons but that lifestyle was just not for me. I'm like an eagle I like my freedom and don't like being scrutinized twenty four seven  and that's what would have happened if I had followed her emplorin. My life would have been under a microscope.

  Pulling my bag strap further up on my shoulder I made my way to my dad's office without running into any one. From the looks of it he was just finishing up a meeting as he stood at the door shaking a middle aged guys hand who was clad in a gray suit and blue tie that did wonders for his vivid icy blue eyes. Come to think of it he didn't look that old now that I could see his face about early fortys but the absent of the proverbial potbelly of the older folks in this town made him look younger. My dad was also an exception. I notice my dad's secretary had taken an interest in him discreetly adjusting her boobs and patting down her hair .

"Lucy come meet my good friend here, Riley Donovan. That's when I realised I had stood there just gawking.

I walked up to them extending my hands "nice to meet you Mr Donovan I said extending my hand." He seemed amused by me for some reason.

"Nice to meet you too little girl," he said ruffling my hair and pulling me into one of those one handed guy hugs. I hugged him back awkwardly looking  at dad confused.

"Donnie here is a little affectionate . We were childhood  best friends but his a business man so he is always off God knows where . At that Mr.Donovan turned grinning at him. He is here on a new business venture. Seems as if there is oil to be had here."

"I'll see you ... Mr Donovan said to my dad. Nice meeting you Lucy he said turning his head to me and smiling without once glancing at the secretary. I look at her to see she was a bit disappointed, she looked to be in her mid twenties with her coral black hair and surprisingly gold coloured eyes. She  was quite beautiful without even trying.

My dad walked back into his office. I turned to my dad's secretary saying "his loss," which made her smile twin dimples popping up on her cheeks. I was suddenly reminded of another person with even deeper dimples. Thinking of his  half smile and mischievous eyes made me smile. I wonder if he had reached home already. He was probably some where hanging out with his friends and having fun.

I walked into my dad's office taking a seat.

"Just give me a moment Luce"  he said signing some papers at his desk. My dad's office looked like one of those CEOs office from the movies with a long rectangular table to the side surrounded by chairs one of which I currently occupied with a beautiful view of the school campus.Above me was numerous shelves all adorned with trophies. I got up staring at them curious trophies for track and field,  cricket, writing, dancing and singing competitions and many others.