Chapter Eleven

As I walked along Nixon Street, I couldn't help but think what Jase was going to do when he saw me. I knew he wouldn't be happy, but if I told him I hadn't come to check on him, and that it was actually the Timekeeper's fault I was here, then maybe he wouldn't be as angry. It wasn't exactly true, but Jase didn't have to know that. 

I knew I shouldn't be checking in on him, but I was afraid he wasn't even going to show up. All I was planning on doing was checking if he was there, and then I was going to leave. He might not even see me there, which was what I was hoping for. 

I stopped at the door of an old brick building, a sign above the door telling me I was in the right place. I had driven passed this building hundreds of times, and I had always thought it was abandoned. It was strange really; some people would call this place their home, yet I would never have thought it could be someone's home from the outside.

I pushed open the door, which opened into a reception-like room. A lady sat behind the counter, smiling at me as I entered and neared the desk.

"Hi there! Are you here to volunteer today?" She exclaimed, though I wasn't sure if she was trying too hard to be nice or if she was just genuinely nice.

"Um actually-" I began, but I couldn't tell her why I was really here. I couldn't say that I was spying on my soul mate, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to actually volunteer anyway. Maybe it would help me to get into a good college in a few years time.

"Yes. Yes I am," I smiled, before she handed me a form and gestured me towards the couch on the left side of the door I had come through.

It wasn't an elegant couch, nor was it very comfortable, which was the vibe I seemed to get from the whole place. I hadn't expected it to be like a five-star hotel or anything, but I imagined it to be a little more, cosy. Once I filled out the form, I was guided down one of the hallways and into the cafeteria. It was pretty deserted when I got there, but only because they hadn't started serving food yet. 

I began walking across the room, weaving through the long tables and benches to get to the kitchen on the other side. I was about to push open the door, when a strong hand gripped my arm and spun me around. I had to quickly try and regain my balance, before looking up to see who was now in front of me.

Jase.

"What on earth are you doing here, Candice?" He hissed; trying to make sure nobody would hear him.

"Did you come to check up on me, huh? Making sure I would actually show up?" His grip on my arm tightened. I let out a gasp, before he noticed and let go completely. 

"I- The Timekeeper controls us, Jase. We're connected, remember?" I tried to mimic what he had said to me, back in the cafe on our second encounter, although Jase had managed to sound a lot more sarcastic than I had.

He glared at me, which made me feel a little proud inside. It mainly made me feel nervous though, like coming here had been a bad idea. We already weren't on very good terms; I didn't want to make it even worse.

"Oh good, you two are already making friends." A man in his early forties spoke as he walked over to Jase and I.

"I'm Stephen, and I'm the one who runs this place," he smiled, before shaking both our hands. 

"You must be Jase," Stephen said as he handed Jase a mustard-coloured apron and a hair net.

"And you must be Candice!" He handed another apron and hair net to me, before guiding us through the kitchen door.

We were introduced to some of the other volunteers, and I was by far the youngest. There were four other volunteers, all over thirty years old. Three of them were women, and the only man there had a long grey beard that was wrapped in a hair net, which made me want to laugh. They all seemed to know each other though, like they did this on a regular basis. I guess it was a good thing, at least the people here would always have people to help them out.