Chapter Twenty-Three

I don't think I had ever gotten dressed and out of my bedroom so fast in my life. I ran downstairs, almost tripping over my feet on the way down. My mind was going a millions different ways, and my heart was beating so fast I worried that I might go into cardiac arrest.

I reached the front door just as I tugged on my brother's jumper that I had found in the middle of the hallway. It was way too big for me, especially with only my pyjama shorts on. But I didn't care. I didn't care how cold it was when I opened the door, nor did I care that it was the middle of the night. All I cared about was getting to Jase's house as fast as I possibly could.

"Candice?" I heard from behind me. I cursed myself for not caring enough to be quiet on my way out, before turning to see my mother, still looking half asleep.

"What on earth are you doing?" she yawned, though she sounded very serious.

"Mum, I'm sorry I woke you, but, I really have to go."  She must have finally processed what I had said, because her eyes went wide.

"You can't be serious, Candice. It's the middle of the night! I'm sure whatever it is you're hurrying off for can wait until morning," she said firmly.

"No mum, you don't understand! This cannot wait, or else it might be too late!"

"Cand-" she began. She took a step towards me just as I threw my arm out, baring my Timekeeper to her. At first she just looked confused, and I really couldn't blame her. She had just caught her daughter- who never breaks the rules or does anything remotely rebellious- trying to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night. But then she really looked at my Timekeeper, and I saw the colour drain out of her face. I could feel my eyes getting teary again, even though I told myself I wouldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

"Oh. Oh, Candice, sweetie," she whispered, not because she didn't want to wake the others, but because that's the only noise she could manage.

"So please mum, I have to go. I-I have to see him." It was silent for a moment. I could hear the faint sound of rain hitting the roof, but thankfully, as I looked out the open door, I saw that it was only a light shower. My eyes stung with tears now, though I wasn't exactly sure when I had started crying again.

"Okay, but let me drive you there. There's no way I'm letting you go alone," she said at last.

We got to the car, mum in her dressing gown and slippers, me bare foot and barely clothed. It should've been freezing out, there was no doubt it was, but I couldn't feel it. I couldn't feel the wind breeze through my tangled hair, couldn't feel the stones digging into my feet as I walked, I couldn't feel anything. It was like my body had gone into such shock that it forgot how to function normally. Mum fiddled with the keys, finally unlocking it and hopping in the drivers seat. She reached over and pulled the lock up on the passenger door, allowing me to get out of the rain.

Most of the drive there was silent, my leg's impatiently bouncing as my mother drove. I caught her glance over at me ever now and then, like she wanted to say something but wasn't quite sure what. I wasn't sure I really wanted her to say anything; I just wanted to get to Jase's house and for the line on my wrist to disappear. I had never really thought about what it would be like to not have a soul mate, but I've never had too. Why would you ever want to think about the death of the person you belonged to? 

“Mum, can you drive any faster?” I yelled, unable to keep my emotions under control.

“Sweetie, I’m already over the speed limit. Just breathe, everything will be okay.” I shot her a look, and I knew I was being horrible, but I didn’t care. Not right now, anyway. My body ached to see Jase, to touch him once more, before it might be too late.