Chapter Thirteen

"Mum! Mum!" I yelled from my bedroom.

"What is it, sweetie?" She said breathlessly as she appeared at my door, looking frazzled.

Today was Daniel and Lucy's wedding day, and my mother was clearly extremely stressed out for it. They were having it the backyard, and mum was in charge of most of the day. It's not like we all didn't want to help out, she just insisted that she would do it all.

"I can't get the zip done up at the back, could you-" She was behind me before I could even finish asking her, and I felt the dress tighten around my back as the zip slid up my spine.

"Thanks, Mum." I smiled as she spun me around to face the mirror. Claire had come over earlier to do my hair and make-up, since I had no idea what to do or how to do any of it. My long brown hair was curled and fell down over my bare shoulders, a pretty clip encrusted with diamonds pinning part of it back from my face. I hardly ever wore my hair down, let alone put any effort into it. I could feel it tickling my bare shoulder blades; it was an unusual feeling for me.

Thankfully, Claire hadn't put too much make up on; I still somehow looked natural, just with much longer eyelashes, rosier cheeks and pink lips. I hardly recognised myself. I had never worn make up, apart from when Claire wanted to give me makeovers. It wasn't like I didn't need it; it was more to do with the fact that I had no idea how to use it.

"You look beautiful, Candice," my mother said as she stared at me through the mirror.

I smiled back at her, before taking in my full appearance. The lilac dress flowed freely all the way down to my toes, but was fitted around my chest quite tightly. It gave my breasts a nice lift surprisingly, which made me feel a little exposed. Overall, I was shocked at how nice I looked, though I didn't actually look much like myself.

I looked back up at my mother then, her eyes looked glassy, like she was about to cry.

"Mum, are you alright?" I asked as I spun around to face her, the dress spinning outwards as I moved.

"I'm fine, I just- I can't believe my eldest boy is getting married, today. And there's still so much to be done. I still have to-" she began to ramble before I stopped her.

"Mum, you know you don't have to do this all by yourself." I said. "We're all here to help out."

She sighed, before giving a small smile.

"I know, sweetie. I just wanted to make sure everything was perfect."

"It's going to be perfect, Mum, no matter what." I smiled as she handed me my flats. The other girls were wearing heels, though I refused. I had never worn heels before, so I wasn't about to start trying on my brother's wedding day. Knowing my luck, I'd end up falling over in front of everyone.

Mum helped me as I slipped them on, before pulling me into a hug. She left then, probably to go check on the bride for the tenth time already. I grabbed the bouquet of flowers from my bed, taking one last look in the mirror before walking out the door.

                                                          *   *   *

The backyard was filled with people in suits and dresses, laughing and smiling and just generally having a good time. The ceremony had been beautiful, just how I imagined my own to be. It was perfect really. They said their "I do's", in front of all they family and friends, and were finally about to start a new life together.

Daniel couldn't wipe the grin off his face the whole day, and wouldn't leave his wife's side. They were the perfect couple, and I was so happy for them to finally tie the knot. My mother had been in tears ever since the ceremony, of course, they were happy tears. She was so happy for Daniel and Lucy, you could almost see her glowing with pride and happiness.