17. An unexpected turn of events

Hi guys, here's an update for you.  Yes, this is a record for me on this story! :) Enjoy.

****

As Bronco’s word sink in I stare at him as though he has lost his marbles. A child? Within a year? With Russell? Hell no!

I’m in so much shock I can’t feel anything, literally. It’s like I’m in a dream and I’m looking in on me. Russell and I are standing rooted to the spot, neither of us knowing how to react. Bronco has a look of complete and utter satisfaction on his face and as I return to the land of the living I have a sudden urge to slap him. Of course I don’t but I have to squeeze Russell’s hand really tight to control myself.

There’s so much I want to say and do but I’m too shocked to do any of it. I mean… a child? I want kids, that’s why this thing with Marcus is tearing me apart, but not with some random stranger.

Oh god this is a nightmare. In my excitement to get as many wedding gifts as I can, I never once considered the consequences. Things like, how many men will want to marry a woman who won’t pleasure them in bed? Not many, I got lucky with Russell. Then there’s this issue we currently have… children. Then there’s being absent all the time.

Teresa, stop it. Snap out of it and take a deep breath. Focus on the here and now. Worry about the rest later.

Taking a deep breath, I push the thoughts away. It’s hard work because I’m really worried now but I need to get through this current predicament before I work out the rest.

My mind is too muddled to think of the right words to say. I suddenly don’t care that I’m not allowed to speak because I’m feeling extremely rebellious. I want to tell Bronco where to shove his stupid family contract.

I’m about to do just that when Russell speaks up, obviously getting over the shock a little quicker than me.

“Are you out of your mind?” Russell erupts. The tone of his voice makes me jump and I notice everyone turn to look at us in shock. It’s obvious no one raises their voice to Mr and Mrs Fellows. “You should have told me, don’t you think? What if my chosen wife can’t have children? Then what?”

Beatrice smirks but says nothing and Bronco offers a proper smile this time but it’s not a nice smile. It’s pure evil.

“Then you are not entitled to the inheritance,” Bronco says with a smug grin.

I’m appalled. Seriously, how can these guys be so conniving? Isn’t Russel entitled to his inheritance? While parents are not obligated to leave an inheritance, if they say they will the least they can do is keep their word. They’re obviously so money hungry they can’t bear to part with a single dollar for Russell.

Angered, I open my mouth to give my two cents worth when I notice Russell’s face. I quickly realise talking when I’m not supposed to will not make this situation any better. He is so angry his face is black. I’m expecting him to lash out very soon.

“You sick bastard.” Russell says it with such venom it makes me flinch. I look from Russell to Bronco and an unsettled feeling develops in the pit of my stomach. This is not going to go down well.

Bronco squares his broad shoulders and glares at Russell. “What did you call me, son?”

“You heard me. You’re a sick bastard. You can’t do this without telling me, it’s illegal.”

“I can do whatever I please,” Bronco’s eyes are so dark a shiver of fear runs down my spine. “I run this family and you do as I say. If you don’t like it then there’s the door.” He points to the main entrance.