The Only Faith {12}

The door to the room opened a few minutes later and Ren came in. "Mr. Redfield wants you, too. Are you going to make this easy or hard?"

                "Easy," I said, standing up. "I've got nothing to hide."

                We started down the hallway together and he looked around to make sure we were alone. He lowered his voice and glanced at me.

                "I was the one who brought Fagan back to his room last night. It was dark and it looked like someone was asleep in your bed. I didn't bother investigating," he said.

                "You would've found me, a real life Sleeping Beauty," I said.

                He shook his head. "I told Tessa to stop all of this. I can't keep covering for you guys. Leon will catch on and then I'll be the next Maroon around here."

                "Why cover in the first place?" I said.

                He was looking straight ahead now as we went down the stairs and towards Mr. Redfield's office. "Because I'm tired of saving my own ass and leaving people I care about to suffer."

                He didn't offer anymore and I didn't pry. We crossed the first floor lobby and Ren led me to Mr. Redfield's office, pushing the door open.

                "I brought Brennan, sir," he said, stepping aside so I could enter.

                I stepped into the room and took in the scene. Mr. Redfield sat at his desk with a man standing at his side. Caleb stood in the corner of the room. Beckett, Fagan, and Tessa were all fighting to hide pain as they sat in chairs across the desk. I noticed a paddle leaning against the desk.

                The man standing there was clearly Beckett's father. He was probably in his late 40s, with the same dark hair and hazel eyes at Beckett. They had a few similar facial features, but Beckett looked surprisingly gentler than his father. Beckett's features were more rounded and his hair was messier, where his father had sharp features and neatly styled hair.

                Mr. Redfield nodded and Ren left the room, shutting the door. Mr. Redfield gestured to an empty chair and I took a seat.

                There were several files on Mr. Redfield's desk and I fought to keep my expression composed. Shit, what if he revealed something in front of Beckett's crew?

                "Brennan, Warren told me when he brought Fagan in last night, it looked like you were asleep in your bed. But he also said it was dark, and he was distracted by Fagan," Mr. Redfield said, folding his hands over his desk.

                "It's true; I'm very distracting," Fagan said.

                Caleb stepped forward and punched Fagan. "Shut it, Maroon."

                "Down, mutt," Fagan said, rubbing his jaw. "Your master would be disappointed in you right now."

                "Caleb," Mr. Redfield said, gesturing for Caleb to step back. Caleb reluctantly obeyed, shooting a dirty look at Fagan.

                "Look, Leon already questioned me, too. I'll you what I told him; I'm not giving up my sleep to trash a library," I said.

                He flipped my file open, tapping his finger on it. "Your file says otherwise."

                "My file was me before I was walking on a thin line," I said.