The Only Faith {24}

The next morning had me so restless I could hardly stand it. I showered and got dressed early, heading out to walk around campus until it was time for class.

                I entered the classroom and took my seat, watching Beckett and Tessa come in. They were both wearing calm facades, but Tessa's eyes darted around the room and Beckett was tensed for a fight.

                They sat down and waited for class to start. Mr. Sternberg entered the room, but he didn't act any different than usual as he started his lesson.

                But of course he wouldn't. Of course Constance wouldn't let anyone know what had happened.

                Fagan came in about fifteen minutes later and was hit a few times by Sternberg before taking his seat. He seemed at ease, waiting eagerly for something to happen.

                But nothing happened first period. Or second. Or third.

                Nothing happened during lunch. I ate alone in my usual corner, spotting Leon sitting at a table with his friends. He was pushing his food around his plate, not eating any of it as he read through a textbook and took notes.

                Beckett, Fagan, and Tessa were at their usual table, whispering to each other. I couldn't risk trying to talk to them, though.

                I took out my phone and deleted Beckett's contact and our texts. If they checked my phone, I didn't want them to find anything that would connect me to them. Beckett had probably done the same when we first got dragged down to Constance's office.

                By fourth period, I was so restless I could've burst out of my own skin. Mrs. Hendricks started the lesson, going on and on about I don't even know what.

                "Brennan Kipling!"

                A marker hit me in the head and I winced. "Ow, damn, you have good aim," I said in surprise, rubbing my head as I looked up at Mrs. Hendricks.

                She glared back at me. "Are you paying attention?"

                "Honestly? I haven't heard a word you said until you threw this at me," I said, picking up the marker.

                "Dumbass," Beckett grumbled.

                I threw the marker at his head. "I'd hate for you to feel left out, Debby Downer."

                He glared as the marker hit him. "What are you, five?"

                "Five seconds away from flinging myself out of the window," I said.

                "Wow, what a great comeback," he said, picking up the marker and whipping it at me. I winced as it hit me in the chest.

                "Both of you stop it or I'll send you to Headmaster Constance," Mrs. Hendricks snapped.

                "Normally I'd consider that a threat, but I'm so bored in this class I'd almost welcome being emotionally abused at this point," I said. "It'd liven up my day."

                I winced as Beckett hit me with his notebook. "Shut up. Go back to zoning out. You're better when you don't talk."

                "Settle down children," Fagan said.