The Only Faith {16}

I laid on my bed, finishing up my homework. Beckett and Tessa had sat in the room for a while before going out in search of Fagan. They hadn't returned yet, so I doubted they'd found Fagan.

                I scanned through my notebook in search of the last few answers I needed. Leon hadn't bothered me again today, though I'd guess he was busy doing whatever his father had asked him to do.

                The door to the room opened and I looked up, expecting Beckett and Tessa. Instead, Fagan came in, throwing his bag in the corner of the room and pulling himself onto his bed.

                "Beckett is looking for you," I said.

                "He can keep searching." Fagan laid back, hands folded behind his head.

                "What did you do to Hendricks' office?" I asked.

                Fagan gave an empty grin, staring up at the ceiling. "I went online. I searched her up. I found a family picture and printed it out. I poked the eyes out. I replaced the family picture she had in her office with that. We also trashed her office a bit and left some kind messages for her."

                "That's mildly disturbing," I said.

                He turned his head, his eyes locking on me. "She called me sensitive."

                "Is that such a bad thing?" I said. "If someone told me my hair looked bad I'd start bawling. People are sensitive over things."

                He sat up, drumming his fingers on his knee. "Do you know what they called me from the time they learned the word? They called me Fag. Haha, so funny. Let's call Fagan 'Fag' like the clever little monsters we are." His eyes were blazing like they had in class. "I was a gymnast. I was a cheerleader. They called me Fag, they called me a girl, they called me a pussy, they called me a sensitive little bitch. They'd corner me and beat me up. One girl, she was a cheerleader and she told her brother the combination to my locker. He broke into it and filled it with tampons. I opened my locker and they all spilled out. The other kids, they just laughed and laughed and that girl took a video as her brother shoved my face in them and said they were made for pussies."

                He threw his head back and laughed like any of it was funny. "So, we were performing our cheering routine at a football game. We threw that girl in the air and when she came back down, I didn't bother catching her."

                "That's what Hendricks meant," I said. "That was the girl whose future you ruined."

                "She broke her leg and her arm. Popped her shoulder out of place and threw out her back. They told her she'd probably never cheer again," he said. "Her parents threatened to press charges against me, but they couldn't prove I let her fall. He brother threatened to break both my legs the next chance he got."

                "And now you're here," I said.

                He spread his arms, gesturing to our room. "Here I am. My parents shipped me off to get rid of me. Saturday calls are all the contact we have now."

                "People have done worse. People have had it worse," I said. He was looking at me like he expected me to be afraid of him. "Just don't toss me up and break my bones and we won't have a problem."

                The door opened before Fagan could respond to that. I watched as Beckett and Tessa came into the room.

                They noticed Fagan and Beckett got an annoyed expression. Fagan watched him with an emotionless expression.