Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty: the final two chapters now.

I haven't slept since I found the blood smeared trees. I probably should have, but how could I when the only thing I could see behind closed lids was that image replicating itself over and over in my mind? Even when I blinked, I would catch a glimpse of that mess all over again. It pained me both mentally and emotionally to be constantly reminded of the deaths I could have prevented but didn't.

How could I have been so blind? I turned a blind eye towards this idea of war -- I wasn't entirely set on the whole concept. I instinctively knew, deep down, that of course it was bound to happen. Everyone was gearing up for it. I still clung onto the hope that it would fall through and we could all carryout our lives as usual.

"Coralina," Raphael said my name softly. He staggered towards me before collapsing on our couch. Jack despite every command I used blatantly refused to lock up his Alpha against his will. I tried to explain to Raphael that it was safer this way because I was a time bomb getting ready to explode but he wouldn't hear any of it.

"Hi," My voice sounded dry and scratchy. It felt like that, and despite every attempt to wash the feeling away I still felt dirty. I betrayed them; my wolves. They were depending on me and I fucked them over. I wans't a person to depend on, especially in dire scenarios.

"How are you?: He asked carefully. His words were carefully said wih a concerned tone.

I shrugged off his question and shot it right back at him, "How are you?"

"Fine, I could be better," Raphael snorted and slinked even farther into the couch. I took the liberty to wrap a blanket around his shoulders before gong to pour both of us a cup of coffee. I've been sipping on coffee since well before five in the morning.

"You're sitting today out," I was constantly reminding him. He just needed to lie down and relax, but could he? No. Raphael was so used to being in the middle of the action that when he sits it out, it drives him completely bonkers.

"I know," he said with a resigned tone. He has been accepting the fact more willingly ever since Jack blew my cover and let him in the know. He was now aware of my willingness and full intent to stuff him right into solitary.

"Or else," I threatened lamely. The joking tone I intended to use was dead, my words just sounded empty. I was hoping to two of us would take these few last remaining hours to say goodbye, because this could very well be the last time we ever saw one another. My wolf felt unsettled about having my mind so set on dying tonight, but I knew that many of us wouldn't make it would alive. I was only being realistic.

It pained me to know that I would be leaving Raphael alone, on his own to deal with the aftermath. Would he survive? I hoped so, because he needed to guide the rest of our wolves to safety. Many wolves spiral into a deep insanity sparked by a depression after their mate dies, but Raphael was stronger than that. He needed to be, and somewhere deep in my heart, I knew Fate would pay him back and bring someone who would love him again A second chance mate.

It was fitting that the sky was gloomy with dark clouds looming over our territory, and that the soft pattering of drizzles began to turn into a harsh down pour. Even the weather knew what was about o go down -- it was raining to wash away the blood of the fallen.

"Cora," Raphael's voice was soft. I turned my head to look at him rather than focusing my attention on the rain. He was slouching deeply into the couch and his smile seemed worn. I approached him, settling the cup of coffee between his hands before positioning myself comfortably besde him. I simply glanced at him from over my shouler before sending him a gentle small smile. My lips barely curled, but it was enough, it was always enough.