Chapter 27

What's your favourite colour?

*

I walked away from Tanner, hurt and confused. I didn't think I'd ever get used to his attitude, and he was putting me through so much stress. Clearly, he wasn't the type to calm down easily.

I got to my locker, grabbing my bag and looking around for Ryan. Now, where would he have gone to?

"Hey, Kenzi. Sorry, I'm here. You ready?" Ryan asked as he walked towards me.

"Yep." I nodded, pulling on the strap of my bag.

"You okay?" Ryan asked me as we walked out of the school building.

"Yeah, I am."

"I know you're lying."

I rolled my eyes and sighed ,"It doesn't really matter."

"Fine, but if you want to talk about it, I'll be here."

"I don't want to ever talk about it." I said

*

"I want to talk about it." I blurted out as soon as Ryan pulled away from the school's parking lot.

Ryan laughed, "I remember vividly that few minutes ago, you weren't willing to talk about it at all."

"Ryan. . ." I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, okay," his laughter reduced to small chuckles, "What's up?"

"He told me to walk away. Right after I'd thanked him for the ride and the lunch he'd saved me. Can you just imagine?" I shook my head in disbelief.

"Well-"

"He even asked if I was dumb!" I threw my hands in the air.

"Kenzi-"

"I know. I didn't deserve that."

"I didn't say anything. In fact, you wouldn't let me talk."

I sighed as I leaned into the seat, "Right. I'm sorry, it's just that I'm tired trying to get used to how he operates. This attitude of his is. . .," I waved my hands in the air, "It's crazy, and I've never met anyone like that before."

"Yes, you have, but first off, maybe he's just going through the motions. I mean, he says them because he has to, not like he actually wants to."

"And that is a problem."

"It's not. He probably has reasons-"

"And whenever I ask him what's wrong, he snaps at me. He always snaps at me. And wow, he does a good job getting stuff out of me, considering I told him about mom's cancer."

"You did?" His eyes widened.

"Well, he forced me to."

"Yeah, he's pretty persuasive."

"And I'm not?" I asked.

"I think you are. I mean, you make me try stupid stuff, well, you force me to, so maybe Tanner's not just one to talk about his devastations." He shrugged.

"Well, then, he could at least keep from being rude." I sighed. "How will Brooke get home?"

"She's riding with Bambi."

"Oh." I nodded and soon, Ryan pulled up to a diner. It wasn't all that large, neither was it small.

Joyce's Palace. I read the words which shined on top of the roof.

"Let's go." Ryan said as we got down from the car and walked into the diner.

The people eating in the diner at that time looked a little scanty, maybe it was because it was also a work day for everyone.