Chapter 55

Do you swear?

*

In the middle of the rock I usually sat on and the tree Tanner usually stood by, was a large mat. On it were two baskets and by their sides were balloons with purple and red lights in them. It was simple yet beautiful.

I turned to look at Tanner where he stood, his hands in his pockets as he smiled hopefully before he started making his way towards me. I met him halfway and flung my arms around his neck, causing me to tiptoe a bit. 

"I think it's really beautiful." I said, my voice muffled even as I'd buried my head in his chest. I was overwhelmed by his thoughtfulness and when his arms wrapped around my waist, I tried hard to ignore the tingly feeling in my stomach.

"I'm glad you do."

I pulled away from him and looked at the mat then back to him, "We were meant ​to come here to talk. Why the mat and balloons?" I asked, smiling a confused smile.

"Well, I figured we could talk in a more special way." He looked over to the mat and I threw my arms around him again, "This was so thoughtful of you, Tanner."

He chuckled, "Oh, my... you give killer hugs."

I stepped away, rolling my eyes as I laughed.

"It's beautiful..." I said, looking at Tanner and he smiled, getting seated on the mat before gesturing for me to sit opposite him. I let out a breath as I sat, crossing my legs in front of me, then looked over to Tanner who started opening one of the baskets​.

"What do you have in there?" I asked him.

"Just a few things to chew on." He threw a quick glance at me. "So, I got cheeseburgers, vanilla wafers, crackers and a few drinks too. Yeah, and ice cream we probably should take soon before it melts, plus, cookies for you."

"You said a few things. This sounds like a lot."

"They'll be gone in no time, trust me." He chuckled, bringing out everything he had just mentioned as he arranged them down on the mat, "How's your mom doing?"

"She's doing okay. We're just trying to be careful and stuff," I said, nodding before looking at him, "The lights came back on."

"They did?" He didn't look up from what he was trying to set on the mat.

"Don't act surprised. I know you paid for it, Tanner."

He broke into a smile, running his hand through his hair before finally looking up at me. I opened my mouth to ask why he did, but he beat me to it, saying, "Don't ask me why I did it. I know you're getting paid, but it only made sense that I did it."

"I wasn't gonna ask why you did it."

"Really now?" He raised an eyebrow, a smile playing on his lips.

"Okay, I was gonna ask that." I threw my hands up in the air in surrender and he just let out a chuckle as he lifter two medium sized​ tubs of ice cream, his eyes running over their bodies like he was trying to study their information.

"I... I don't know how to thank you, Tanner. We really did need those lights. I mean, I can't even imagine all the stress you might have gone through to get the electricity bills paid."

"Actually, it was easy. It didn't take me minutes. As soon as I got back to my car yesterday, all I did was just make the payment."

I sat, listening to him, a little distracted with the way his mouth moved as he talked, "So, I got these," he looked at the tubs of ice cream, then me, "I didn't know your favorite flavor, but I got lemon and vanilla, and macadamia and some chocolate."