Chapter 34

Give me the ship name you want for your favourite people in Mackenzie.

*

The​ hospital room wouldn't stop spinning. Shaking my head or blinking did nothing to stop it from spinning, not believing the words of Doctor Colt.

"That's not true." I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, Mackenzie, but it is. She's been telling me. Telling the nurses. She does want to go back home. I tried telling her it wasn't a wise decision, but she said she'll do better at home."

"She won't," I muttered, "Can I see her now? I need to talk to her."

"Sure. She's awake in her ward."

"Thanks." I nodded and left the office. What was mom thinking, really? Why would she want to come home? 

I pushed the door to her ward open and looked at her. She laid on the bed, eyes open as she stared into space.

"Mom?" I called as I pulled a chair to sit beside her bed.

"Doctor Colt must have told you about me wanting to come home. She's right. I want to leave here, MZ. Nothing is changing. Waking up to the smell of antiseptic isn't nice, either-"

"Mom-"

"This is not the time for me to be in the hospital. It's the time for me to be at home, how can I spend the last days on a hospital bed?-"

Her words were breaking me. I felt like I couldn't breathe. 

"It's the time for me to be with you, baby, the time for me to take walks and just appreciate life more. I'm on the hospital bed everyday, what good is that?"

I closed my eyes tight, and let out a shaky breath, "Mom, would you let me talk, please? Would you listen to me?"

Mom sighed, "Sorry MZ. . . It's just that I've missed you so much," she said, realizing she hadn't actually given me the breath to say anything since I got in.

"Me too, mom. I've missed you, but you have to stay here."

"Why?"

"You have to understand, mom, the hospital's better for you-"

"Tell me why."

"There's nothing for you to even eat at home. Somehow, you being here sorts you out." 

"What?" Her features softened and she now looked concerned, "What do you mean? What do you eat?"

She want meant to know this, but damn, she made me. I shrugged like it didn't matter as I said, "Cereal."

"MZ?" She looked very confused.

"Exactly. You can't come home. At least not now. I won't be able to take care of you the way you'd be taken ​care of here at the hospital."

"It doesn't matter, MZ. I want to come home."

"Mom, you'll have nothing to eat." Was there a better way to make her understand that coming home wasn't best for her?  "I can't leave you at home when I go to work with no one at home with you."

"MZ, when we get to that bridge-"

"We wouldn't be able to cross it. I can't leave you at home. I'll be scared to leave you when I've got school. There's no way I'll do that, mom. How about you stay here another week?"

"A week? That's a long time."

"Just stay for a week." I told her. Even though she stayed back for a week, it wouldn't change the fact that there was nothing to eat at home.