Chapter 68

"Morning, sunshine!" I heard dad say, and I knew he had pulled up my curtains when I felt the sun on my face.

"Shit," I muttered, pulling my pillow from behind my head, covering my face.

"Did you just swear early this morning? That was your first word this morning."

"Dad," I groaned.

"You've got school today."

How could I forget today was a Monday?

The weekend had gone fast. Too fast, in my opinion. I'd spent the Saturday with Tanner, basically fooling around and eating. We'd done a little bit of cuddling before I remembered I had to go to work and that I also had to talk to the manager about my shift time. Tanner had taken me to work and didn't leave till he got a burrito for me.

Talking to the manager seemed harder than I expected. He was reluctant to let me stop working double shifts, and when I couldn't take it again, I almost rudely pointed out to him that I was even yet to receive my pay from working double shifts. He'd calmed down after that and finally granted me the permission to go back to working 4 hours. Kora was extremely happy for me and she couldn't​ stop talking about how much I deserved to be relieved from such stress.
I got home talking to Tanner and we'd talked deep into the night until I was almost falling asleep on him.

Yesterday had gone so fast as well, and I couldn't really remember the activities of the day, or maybe it was because there were no activities, really. Mom, Dad and​ I were home. We binged on ice cream while watching Netflix, laughing either at Ryan Reynolds or just random things we said to each other while watching.

It felt so good. So good to spend the day with my family– a complete family. It made me realize how much I'd missed Sunday afternoons with them. I was happy. Content. And I couldn't ask for anything more.

"So, yesterday when I brought you to your room, you said something about stealing my car keys and running to France," dad laughed, and I could feel him sitting on my bed.

I opened my eyes, looking at him, "That's not true."

"Believe it or not, mi amor, you fell asleep while watching TV and I carried you here, and, yeah, you sleep talk."

"Tanner said the same thing," I muttered under my breath, lifting a finger to my lips.

"Tanner, huh?" Dad said, a smile on his face and I felt a little heat rise to my cheeks at the realization that dad had heard me.

"He's decent. Really decent," he nodded slowly. 

I swallowed, a smile on my face as I tucked a few strands of hair, nodding.

"That's what matters," he shrugged, "Your mom tells me you two aren't dating, but, let's say, in the future? You'll be good," he patted my arm, "There's just one thing I don't want."

I rolled my eyes, knowing what he was about to say.

"I'm not ready to be a grandfather yet, so if you two don't mind... don't do it."

There. He didn't even disappoint me.

"Yes, Dad. I've heard you," I chuckled lightly, looking at him.

"Right," he got up from my bed, kissing my forehead, "Go freshen up, I'll make breakfast quickly and I'll take you to school, sounds good, yeah?"

"Yeah," I nodded, smiling.

*

My eyes kept darting to the door as I always tore my gaze away from Mrs. Martinez, hoping Tanner would walk in anytime soon, but minutes had passed and he still wasn't here. I bit my lip, looking at Mrs. Martinez and not breaking eye contact with her as I took my phone from under my table's locker to text Tanner.