171:Chris Imagine for @Maggie_Fuentes

For Maggie_Fuentes

All he had to say was "Let's go." And that's all he did say. You didn't ask about the cut on his lip or the bruises on his neck. You didn't have to.

It was the middle of the night, and you knew you had a test the next day, but he was all you cared about.

You grabbed all the money you had saved and a change of clothes before sneaking out. You two made it to the highway before sunrise.

"You mind giving us a ride?" Chris asked the first driver to pull over, as you were too shy to do so.

Next thing you knew, you and Chris were in the back seat of a middle aged lady's sedan. She looked nice enough.

"Where're you two headed?" she asked.

"East," you answered immediately. You didn't know where it came from, but it felt right.

"Ah," she replied with all the understanding in the world, and the knot in your stomach began to ease.

She dropped you two off in the next town over and wished you luck.

"What now?" you asked, looking around at the quiet street.

Chris took hold of your hand. "I guess, we find a place to stay for the night. We'll figure out the rest after that."

His wounds were more noticeable now in the daylight. Purple and blue marks left by his father's fingers traced up the sides of his neck and across his cheeks. The blood was gone from his lip, but the cut was very visible.

The man at the motel looked two wrong words away from calling the cops. You didn't blame him, though. You two looked like a young couple in trouble. Nevertheless, he rented a room out to you.

"I love you, Maggie," Chris announced lying next to you.

You pressed yourself closer. "I love you too." Then all at once, you were on your feet jumping on the bed with Chris, laughing and joining you.

The next day, you two were on a bus out of the state.

As you looked out at the window at the passing fields and trees and houses and barns, you could hardly breath. You'd only ever left town on visits to see family, and you had only just realized that you were leaving now for something much more than that.

Chris squeezed your hand when you were off the bus. It was dawn, and the soft purple morning light washed over the both of you.

"Do you wanna go back?" he asked. "Before we get too far away?"

You shook your head, taking a deep breath. "Never."

I hope you like it! I'm sorry if it seems choppy. I wrote it how I imagined it. Thank you for requesting! M'kay.

~Mariah