Blogging, Part 2

Now that you’ve got a blog set up, you might be wondering what the hell to put into it. Never fear! Da puppy is here to rescue you.

Blog Topics

Remember our discussion of the Rule of Thirds? One third is your own promotions, one third is you amplifying others’ content and then the final third is your personality. The blog can give you the first and third, and sometimes it can give you the second. 

For a writing blog, consider all of the aspects of writing. There are characters. There are scenes. There are conflicts. There are details. There are titles. There are covers. There is critiquing your own work (it’s not all perfect, you know). There is also your process. Any and all of these are perfectly good blog fodder. Go one chapter back in this guide and you’ll get a link to my writing blog. Click around and check out the categories. 

All of these subjects can be used to show promotions, or personality, or both. In order to promote others’ works, why not set aside a day of blogging (say, Thursdays), and make those posts about someone else’s work that you admire?  Look at your followers, and the people you have followed, and share the love.

Another idea is to allow one of your followers (or the people you have followed and admire) to do a guest blog post. A third approach is to make sure to include writers you like in you blog roll (the links that most bloggers list, usually off to one side or another). 

Now, when you click on the link in this chapter, it takes you to my professional blog, which only touches on writing a little bit. Since the topic is career changing, specifically into a social media career, I write about different things. Instead of getting into writing process, I offer reviews of the many social media books I’ve read. I put my class projects up, too. 

But the two blogs are separate. Remember buyer personae? Remember social listening? You, as the blogger, need to stay on topic. It doesn’t have to be super-strict, but people reading my social media blog are probably not going to be that interested in my cooking skills.

Finally, if you are really and truly stumped for content, try the WordPress.com site. They provide blog prompts.  Just look for The Daily Post. Find something you can tie back to writing and have at it. 

The link is to my professional blog. The image is self-explanatory (you get permission to use that image if you get certified). The YouTube video is pretty close to being perfectly on point and it has some good ideas about how to get blogging ideas when you’re stumped. 

Did this chapter help you? Did it hold your interest? Do you want to see more? Then please vote! You know the puppy wants you to. ;) Did you check out my pro blog and all its social media goodness? Share some more blogs you like, in the comments section.