Chapter 13

Sophie's eyes were sharp and beautiful but also deep and dark; dark enough to encompass and keep countless hidden desires.

Under that penetrating gaze that seemed to strip her layer by layer and peer into her very heart, Davina couldn't help feeling pressured and looked away first, causing her to not see the irritation that rippled through those blue, ocean-like eyes.

Completely missing the silent interaction between the two women, Isabel grinned as she stood up and dusted the non-existent dirt from her jeans.

"Sophie! You missed breakfast."

For Isabel, even though they were in the same circle of friends, Sophie had always been in a sort of grey area within that circle for her; they weren't on the ground of pretenses with each other, but they also weren't close and sometimes the other woman even felt distant, almost as if they weren't acquainted.

After knowing her for twenty years, counting the past life, Isabel still couldn't figure Sophie out and although she would like to get a better understanding of this friend in this life, she wouldn't insist on pushing things if Sophie didn't want to reach out to her.

In response to Isabel's enthusiastic greeting, Sophie glanced over coolly and although a single ripple of emotion couldn't be found in those eyes, a heart stopping smile bloomed on those rose petal-like, bewitching red lips.

"Isabel, how are you? I heard that you received quite a shock and fell over."

To anyone who didn't know Sophie, it would seem as though the woman was trying to pick a fight with those words and expression, but the people in the room knew that was just the way Sophie was, blunt and embarrassingly straightforward.

It was because of this uncanny contrast of stunning beauty and edgy personality that the employees of Sunshine nicknamed her the 'Red Witch'. While she would steal you soul at a glance, true destruction happened once she opened her mouth.

Isabel only smiled when she heard Sophie's reply, it was Ivan who retorted, obviously still peeved about the earlier situation.

"She's fine, believe me."

Seeing Ivan all huffy, Isabel's expression instantly became one of pitiful remorse as though she had been bullied. She could put puppies out of business with those big, limpid eyes.

"Vanya~" the whining tone was sickly sweet and coquettish that it made Ivan's ears red just from hearing it close to him.

"I'm sorry, okay. We didn't think that you would mind being teased that much."

For the second time that morning, Ivan found himself being consumed by guilt as he was faced with Isabel's infinitely remorseful look that made it seem like she would burst into tears at any moment, more aggrieved than he was about what had happened earlier.

"I- I know that I can be childish, and I'm sorry. But I really didn't mean to make you angry."

Seeing Isabel lower her head and twiddle her thumbs like a child who had been scolded while speaking in a small voice, Ivan's heart couldn't help but soften. How could he possibly stay angry when she looked as though her world would shatter if her were to say no.

Pursing his lips slightly to the side, Ivan casted his own eyes to the ground as he mumbled.

"I never said that I was angry."

Isabel rubbed her nose that had turned slightly red as glanced up from under her hair to look at him.

"Really? You seemed pretty mad."