Chapter 36

Waking up the next morning in a bed that wasn't her own, though free of the nausea and headache of a hangover, Isabel's mood could only be described in one word; mortified!

Even though she had been drunk, she didn't forget anything, not a single detail; she remembered every word and action that she committed last night perfectly clearly and she was absolutely chagrined.

After everything that she experienced yesterday she had just been thinking about unwinding at the bar with a cup, but she had completely overlooked the fact that the body she had was the one from the past, one with zero experience with alcohol and she had drunk herself silly, literally.

She just thanked god that 'Sage' was a man with a good conscience and that his character was even better than what she had judged. Any lesser man would have long eaten her clean to the bone with the way she constantly provoked him last night.

Isabel groaned as she hugged her head and rolled around on the bed for a while and it was only then that she was aware of faint clattering sounds coming from downstairs and her heart jumped.

How could she forget that she was in someone else's house?

Looking at the bed she had just tousled into a mess Isabel felt deeply embarrassed and got up to straighten the sheets and as she was doing so, she realized that all her things had been placed near the bed; her phone and Davina's car keys were on the night stand, her coat was hanging on the chair and her shoes were placed neatly together at the foot of the chair.

Thinking that 'Sage' had taken consideration to put her things together, Isabel felt deeply guilty about what she had done last night.

Done with fixing the bed, Isabel went over to the bathroom which door was open and she washed her face, rinsed her mouth and made some semblance of order out of her hair, nothing could be done about her wrinkled clothes.

Walking over to the night stand, Isabel picked up her phone and powered it on only to see that she had more than sixty missed calls last night from both Davina and Kim and more than a hundred text messages. She felt cold sweat break out on her back.

After clearing her call log, she started reading the messages, but after the first twenty or so she stopped because the contents were basically the same.

[Izzy, where are you?]

[When are you coming home?]

[The kids are worried.]

[Izzy, Phoenix is crying, when are you coming home?]

[Kelvin says he won't go to sleep until you come home, where are you?]

[Izzy....]

And they continued like that.

With another load of guilt on her chest, Isabel dialed Kim's number; she didn't dare call Davina because that mother bear would tear her head off across the line.

The phone had only rung three times when the line picked up.

"Isabel?"

"Hey Kim."

"It really is you, thank god! Where the hell are you? What happened to you last night?"

"It's a long story, but I'm fine. How are the kids?"

"They're fine, we're at the company."

"The company? Why?"

"Because you didn't come home last night." There was some blame in Kim's tone and Isabel scratched her cheek awkwardly. "Phoenix cried herself to sleep and Kelvin fell asleep on the couch waiting for you because you said you would be back. Once they woke up this morning they kept pestering me to 'take them to mommy'. What else could I do but bring them here?" Kim sighed.