Chapter 23

Isabel laughed at Zac's surprised look and she wrapped her arms around his middle and hugged the little boy to her chest, causing his cheeks to turn red.

"What? After just a few days you don't recognize me anymore?"

Staring up at Isabel's teasing expression; Zac could only blink as he called out doubtfully.

"A- aunty?"

Being stared at by those innocent dark eyes and being called in such a way, Isabel almost melted into a puddle but she still held some reservations as she bent down to press a firm kiss on Zac's cheek.

"Sweetie remembers me, I'm so happy!"

Zac's cheeks blushed a furious red and he shrunk shyly in Isabel's arms, his mouth curved in a small smile.

Honestly, everything that happened before he fell asleep was nothing more than a blur in Zac's mind.

He remembered being very scared when all the doctors and nurses in their white uniforms started flooding his dad's room, running around and shouting with all those noisy alarms blaring loudly in the background-he had been so frightened by himself, he had wanted someone to hug and comfort him like his mummy used to whenever he got scared, but no one was paying attention to him.

At that moment he felt as though he had wanted to do something unreasonable, something to make them notice him like screaming or shouting, but he was a 'good boy'. Whenever he went to parties with his parent in the past and he was good, not causing trouble for the people around him unlike the other kids his mummy would always hug him when they back in the car and tell him he was a good boy. His mummy's hugs were always very warm and they were his favorite thing in the world.

However, mummy was gone now, but daddy was still here. Although he was asleep, but maybe, if he kept on being a 'good boy', the very best little boy there ever was, not crying or screaming whenever he felt sad, angry or upset, misbehaving and not causing absolutely any trouble for others, maybe daddy would wake up.

He had been so immersed in his thoughts of being 'good' that even Zac himself hadn't realized he ran away from the room until he bumped into someone. Falling hard on the ground had snapped him back to his senses then he heard someone call his name and when he saw that the person he had bumped into was the nice lady he had met once before at the Real Estate company, for some reason he thought that he was in a dream and directly jumped into her arms without a second thought.

The lady's arms were warm and gentle and she hugged him just like his mummy used to, it had made him so comfortable that he unknowingly fell asleep. However... he didn't think that all that had actually been real! How embarrassing!

Watching the two from the side, Samuel was stunned by their resemblance that he was now noticing for the first time. Their facial lines were really similar, especially around their nose and mouth, when they smiled it was like looking in a mirror. He couldn't help but stare at Isabel more.

Samuel had been the steward of the Ryan family ever since he was twenty-five years old, inheriting the position from his own father and had held it for the past thirty three years intending to pass it on to his own son if only the damned boy would finally settle down in life.

From childhood, he had been very good friends with the recently deceased master of the house, Steve Ryan and he had watched the two young masters, Trooper and Archer grow up.

He was there when Trooper took over as head of the house after Steve's death, he watched him marry his high school sweetheart, who was a daughter of an affluent and influential family and have a son together, so he was clear on Zac's identity, however, that resemblance could not be overlooked.