Chapter 34

#Bonus Chapter! (Because I can't sleep.)

Pulling up in the driveway, Archer parked the black Audi then got out, circled around and lifted the sleeping beauty into his arms before shoving the door shut with his hip and locking the car remotely.

Looking up at the simple two story house then at the woman sleeping soundly in his embrace, he felt a bit weird. To think that the first time he brought a woman to his house would be like this.

Walking up the three front steps, Archer then had to use one leg to support 'Ruby's' lower body as he used the free hand to raise the cushion on the porch swing, slightly flip one of the under boards and retrieve the key hidden beneath. He then unlocked the door and went inside.

Stepping into the foyer, Archer looked around the place. It had been almost a year since he left this house and started living full time at the ancestral home again. After all, with Trooper in the condition that he was in, Sarah dead and many more pressing matters, it was just a lot more convenient to move back home than move everything he would need and Zac over to this place that surely didn't have enough room.

Ah, he missed the quaint little life that he was building on his own before that madman ran his truck into his brother's car. But, he had been reminded tonight that just because he was taking up these responsibilities in Trooper's stead, it didn't mean that he had to completely give up on the things that he wanted for himself.

Looking down at 'Ruby', Archer had to suppress the urge to bend down and kiss her.

No, no. He was a gentleman; he would not take advantage of a sleeping woman... no matter how adorable and absolutely unguarded she was.

In the end, he couldn't stop himself from pinching her nose which made Isabel frown in her sleep before she turned her face to bury it into his chest. Archer sighed.

Walking into the living room, he placed Isabel on the couch and adjusted her position so she would be comfortable then went into the kitchen.

Dragging his hand along the counter, which was a bad habit from his childhood, Archer went over the fridge and as expected, when he yanked the door open it was empty save a few bottles of water.

He hadn't lived here for almost a year anyway, and although there was a cleaning lady who came by once in a while and Phillip would ask to crash here from time to time whenever Uncle Sam chased him out, there weren't any people to speak of that used this place so there would obviously be no food, but water was exactly what he was looking for in the first place, so he took a bottle, cracked the seal open and took a long draft before closing the door and walking back towards the living room where he found the person he left there asleep just mere seconds ago, sitting up sleepily on the sofa.

"Awake?"

With a gentle smile on his face that would scare the people who knew him witless hanging on his face, Archer walked over to 'Ruby', but the woman just continued to sit there, staring at nothing while she tottered back on forth slightly.

"Ruby?"

Archer placed his hand on her shoulder in concern and just as he did he felt her shoulders jerk and heard her make a distinct groaning sound like she was going to....

"Wait. Wait, wait, wait....!"

He quickly picked her up and rushed down the hall, kicking in the bathroom door with no time to turn on the light. He flipped up the toilet seat and with practiced ease, pulled back her hair just as Isabel's shoulders heaved and she puked into the bowl.

Completely not put off by the ordeal, Archer knelt down and patiently rubbed her back as Isabel continued to hurl and when she was done, he pulled her back against his chest as they sat on the floor and pulled a decent piece from the toilet paper roll to wipe her mouth.