Chapter 10

Mason stood across from the playground feeling like a creep although he had no reason to. There were no children here. Only a few bodies littered the ground beyond recognition. This was now a crime scene he was stalking.

Anger struck a chord inside him again, but he focused on burying the feeling. He wouldn't let the moon or his wolf get the best of him. Once he knew this situation was taken care of he'd let his wolf run when it was safe.

He was here because he had texted Roland to meet for a few minutes, and this was where Roland was currently working.

A woman passed by with her daughter giving Mason a look and pulling her kid aside. He frowned at the action knowing he might've looked older but not that much of a creep. Was it because of the fact he lacked a jacket when most humans were freezing in their thick coats?

"Hurry up" he mumbled underneath his breath checking the time, and seeing it was 1 am.

The town was quiet around this time, and with the full moon out Mason should've been in the forest. Just as his annoyance began to peak he detected Roland's scent and turned before he could tap his shoulder. Roland jumped a little and gave a breathy laugh.

"Forgot you could sense me coming without looking sometimes. Sorry about the holdup" he apologized sighing heavily. Mason could tell he was stressed.

"Is it that bad?"

"Going to be a field day for the press that's for sure, so is it true. Wolves did this?" he asked crossing his arms over his uniform. "Or was it people like you?"

Roland was the only human who knew what he and Jaden were, after all, he was Masons distant family. His uncle was never close to his family when he was younger. From what he remembered it was due to a falling out with his mother. Desperate to find some sort of stable ground he and, Jaden had sought him out as a place to stay and hide.

Mason figured if they'd live with him he deserves to know what his nephew and friend were. Not to mention everything that came with their conditions. It was hard on him at first and he refused to see them. They had thought they'd lost their only connection since Jaden's family lived in Georgia.

Having him accept them and offer his home was more than they could ask for. They were grateful to him and, having him around was like having both a father figure and another friend.

"No matter what it is people can't know what the truth was," Mason said, and he nodded.

"Trust me I'm doing my best to interfere with reports and change the stories. Seems I'm not the only one trying to convince people this was a regular animal attack. How do we handle this?" he asked.

"I got it under control Roland. Just keep the cops from looking in the wrong places," Mason told him, but Roland put a hand on his shoulder stopping him from leaving.

"Don't push me aside Mason, how'd you take care of this?" Roland asked him concerned.

"Do you really want to know?" Mason asked him, and Roland took a step back clearing his throat.

No matter how much Roland accepted what Mason was, he didn't necessarily accept what his kind could be capable of. Nor was he sure that despite his curiosity he wanted to know how dangerous wolves were, but he did know he needed to eventually learn.

"Just be safe whatever you do. I know you won't tell me, but I know these guys are a threat" Roland said.

"They're my problem, please don't get any more involved"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll make sure I don't. Where's Jaden then?"

"He's scouting to make sure they don't come back. Roland you know I'm just trying to protect – "